Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know this is a very common question, but I have exhausted myself searching and am about to go insane. I just loaded Slackware 10.2 and I cannot get KDE ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help with xorg.conf

I know this is a very common question, but I have exhausted myself searching and am about to go insane. I just loaded Slackware 10.2 and I cannot get KDE to start correctly with startx. I have tried the xorgconfig 50+ times with no luck. Any other suggestions??? I will be checking back constantly to post any info needed. The farthest I get with startx is the KDS home screen (yes it does come up) but at the 320 x 200 resolution. I can only see the top left corner. I can also not change the res through windows. Please see system info below:

Monitor: Samsung 170s
    1280X1024 max res
    H-Scan = 30-81
    V-Scan = 56-85

Video: On-Board video with the Intel Desktop MB, D845G chipset. I do not know the memory.

CPU: 2.4 Pentium 4, I built the computer a few years ago. I have a dual boot for Linux and Win XP.

Mouse/Keyboard: I tried using my logitech cordless setup, but the mouse would not work. I am now using a combo of the cordless keyboard and generic usb mouse.

Please help, Thanks,

-D

Please post the contents of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, particularly the section named "Display" which shows resolutions such as "800x600", "1024x768", etc.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    As you could have guessed I am pretty new with all of this. I have a computer background that helps, but still a big learning cureve. I have two OS's running, but I would have no idea how to copy that file to the win xp side, so I can post. I don't think its possible. I know you can go from win to Linux, but can you go Linux to Win? Plus every time I have to switch OS's I have to reboot.

But, some good news. I did a little more configuring and I was able to get KDE to run at a high resolution. I still want to post the config file so I know I did it right, because I took a shot in the dark and it happened to work. The text looks wierd though. Any advice on how I can post that file?

Thanks,
    D

From memory it looks like this:
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Intel"
    Driver "i810"

Section Screen
    Indetifier "Screen1"
    Device "Intel

Then has the resolutions listed. all say 1280X1024. Its listed three times for 3 different depths. If you can tell me how to get that file out of Linux, I will post. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by DJP1812
    As you could have guessed I am pretty new with all of this. I have a computer background that helps, but still a big learning cureve. I have two OS's running, but I would have no idea how to copy that file to the win xp side, so I can post. I don't think its possible. I know you can go from win to Linux, but can you go Linux to Win? Plus every time I have to switch OS's I have to reboot.
    There are a number of ways you can pull this file off. Floppy disc, rewritable CDROM, email, USB thumb drive. Copy it in Linux, reboot, pull it off in Windows.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Here is the ouput I think is important:

Section "Device"
    Identifiers "** Intel i810 (generic) [i810]"
    Driver "i810"
    #VideoRam 4096

--------------------------
    Screen Sections
    --------------------------------------

Section "Screen 1"
    Device "** Intel i810 (generic) [i810]"
    Monitor "My Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 24

Susection "Display"
    Depth 8
    Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    ViewPort 0 0
    EndSubSection
    Susection "Display"
    Depth 16
    ViewPort 0 0
    EndSubSection
    Susection "Display"
    Depth 24
    ViewPort 0 0
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Thanks and yes I wrote it down and typed it out,
    D

Try changing the driver in the "Device" section a few posts back to use the "vesa" driver rather than the "i810" driver and see if anything changes.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help. I think I got it... Everything looks good.

..now onto getting the internet to work, ha.

-D