Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Guys, I've got a box running SSH which i connect to through putty and WinSCP to transfer files to the box using the sFTP protocol. I am now looking ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SFTP, FTP and SSH

Hello Guys,

I've got a box running SSH which i connect to through putty and WinSCP to transfer files to the box using the sFTP protocol.

I am now looking to connect using my Coldfusion webserver, unfortunatly the CF webserver doesn't support sFTP and only supports FTP.

Is there anyway to allow standard FTP connections through the SSH server or do i need to install a seperate application on my box to manage my FTP connections?

I've been playing around all afternoon with other FTP software such as vsftpd and pure-ftp but not been able to get them running so i can connect.

your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Linux Enthusiast
    hi,

just install the ftpd package in n/ and enable it by uncommenting the ftp line in /etc/inetd.conf

kernow@server:~$ grep ftp /etc/inetd.conf
    #ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd vsftpd
    ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd proftpd

Just Joined!
    Thanks for getting back to me Kern,

I had installed the svftpd app and couldn't figure out why it wasnt working, after poking around for an hour or two i found the inet.conf file, and as you have pointed out just uncommented it and everything works a charm now.

Thanks,

Rob

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Just out of interest, do you know anything about securing that FTP slightly?

At the moment i'm just login as root from the ftp connection, i would MUCH rather have a special user for logging in to the FTP, and then only give them access to a small range of files.

Thanks,

Rob

Linux Enthusiast
    Just create normal users and they will be able to ftp using their normal password and username, to their $HOME