Quote Originally Posted by Ossiriss View Post
I have installed the clamav package...but i can't run it?
if i try from run command -->nothing
whereis --> clamav: /usr/src/slackbuilds/clamav /usr/include/clamav.h but nothing to run from there..not even in /usr/local/bin

how can i use it?run it?
Greets
First of all kudos to kern and ossiriss for having the brains and cojones to stick with a distro that expects you to be smart and rewards you by doing NOTHING you don't ask it to do. Let these Ubuntu and other automatic distros suffer their deserved fates by watching their linux become windows as they grow weak by depending on others to do the work.

That said, one of the things we hardcore have to live with in order to really own our opsys is waiting for things to catch up or revert to older versions. This is actually on topic so please bear with me. Two very useful tools have fallen into incompatibilty recently and not just with Slackware, though one, in Slackware v13, is due to the "upgrade" to KDE4.

That application that works fine in everything running KDE3, such as =<Slack 12.2, is kpackage. I like it because it avoids messing with /var/log/packages while showing the user graphically what packages are installed, all the files associated with that package and their locations (with the obvious value of locating executables and config files) PLUS shows with a red "X" files that don't exist or that have problems. If one finds that two overlapping packages exist it can uninstall the one you want without ruining the other.

There are numerous other advantages to kpackage (in KDE3 since KDE4 version apparently requires the so-called SMART package manager which I will not install) but one rather glaring problem which brings up the 2nd great package - "checkinstall". This has become a problem since checkinstall has incompatibility issues with recent coreutils which ruins what is, IMHO, the best way to create a slackpack by using it instead of "make install". This relates to kpackage because only programs installed from packages show up there. Those built from source tarballs and installed via "make install" do not.

So, Ossiriss, while I may question the need for a permanent install of an antivirus proggy for Linux od any distro,
1) If you are using KDE3 look in kpackage to see locations of executables and/or problems

2) Since Firestarter, Guardog, and the like are merely graphic frontends for iptables via "etc/rc.d/rc.firewall" which write that script for you, copying "rc.firewall" from a previous older install does work just fine albeit w/o any graphic interface.

3) If you think you need either a graphic firewall interface or and antivirus app AND you are on an older version of Slackware (eg: v12 or older) checkinstall can be made to work (I haven't tried it on v13 yet) so you can both build from source and create your own slackpack and finally view the results in kpackage.

Note: there are likely other ways to accomplish similar results, but this way does work nicely on older versions of Slackware and there is nothing really compelling to "move up" to newer versions simply because v12 and even v11 are still so vital, especially with new, custom kernels. "New and Improved" is often a contradiction.

Stay strong, resist automatic dependency "solutions" of all types.