Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
i already tried running xorgconfig like 15 times, no exaggeration, but the xorg.conf file stays the same. thats why i came here looking for help. If teh xorgconf would have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

i already tried running xorgconfig like 15 times, no exaggeration, but the xorg.conf file stays the same. thats why i came here looking for help. If teh xorgconf would have worked I never would have started this thread.

Linux Enthusiast
    as root?

Nice attitude too, we are only trying to help.

http://slackbook.org/html/x-window-s...TEM-XORGCONFIG

Just Joined!
    sorry, yes, i was running it as root.

Can you post more information about the monitor itself?

Desktop or Laptop?
    CRT or flatscreen?
    Make, Model, etc.?

I notice the video card is ATI -- they are known to be "linux unfriendly" and problem-prone at times... (Possibility of detection error?)

EDIT:
    Did you do a completely manual setup? (i.e. - tell it everything about the hardware)

Just Joined!
    it is a desktop, CRT monitor, I know it is capable or 1024x768 because windows used to be installed on this computer, and it worked fine in windows. In the xorg.conf file there is a spot where it says the exact name of the video card so i think it detected it fine. maybe it isn't detecting the amount of memory on the card right or something? About the completely manual setup, I told it as much as it asked. I don't know how to tell it any more.

Something else I noticed -- the video card is AGP -- to date, I have never seen any indications (although I have not researched it very much) of an AGP card working in a Linux environment. I tried to get one to work once, but did not succeed. There may or may not be any relevant threads on these forums... (If anyone has gotten an AGP card to work in a Linux environment, it would be nice to know - thanks.)

I don't mean to add dark clouds to your picture - it's just a possible problem area to consider...

If you have another video card you can try (just for the data point) -- especially a PCI card -- it might be worth the effort.

Linux Enthusiast
    Uhm, thousands of people have got an AGP card working in linux, I assure you its not that.

AGP has been working in linux for years.

Quote Originally Posted by kern
    Uhm, thousands of people have got an AGP card working in linux, I assure you its not that.

AGP has been working in linux for years.
    Thank You, I guess I just haven't noticed...

EDIT:
    It was four or five years ago when I tried to get it to work -- after that, I decided to avoid AGP - and have ever since...

Linux Enthusiast
    pci-express is supported too,

But this guy just needs a working xorg.conf

Just Joined!
    would it be worth it to try switching the vid card anyway? there is a built in ATI card on teh mobo. Its a Hewlett-Packard machine so i don't know how compatible that card would be but, i could try anyway. by the way the agp card I have installed has 16 mb of memory, and the integrated card on teh mobo has 8 so if this works I'll laugh...then cry.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast