Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello there, Here's my little perdicament: I just recently installed Slackware 10.2 on my computer. I have been trying all day to get my USB Flash Drive to work (at ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

USB Flash Drive Mount Prob.

Hello there,

Here's my little perdicament: I just recently installed Slackware 10.2 on my computer. I have been trying all day to get my USB Flash Drive to work (at leat, also get the USB ports to work in general). Now, this is what I intempted to do at first (commands in order):

lsmod | more
    modprobe usb-storage
    cd /mnt
    mkdir /usbstick
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbstick vfat user,noauto,umask=0 0 0
    tail -s 3 -f /var/log/messages
    cd /mnt
    mount usbstick

Here is where I obtained the information in which I based these commands on (with minor alterations):

Once this, and many of the other suggestions on this forum have failed, I have yet to get my Flash drive to work. Now, let me add, that when i try to mount the drive via "system" I receive a window with the message, "mount mount point /mnt/usbstick does not exist". The Flash Drive is finally being picked up by the computer but still can't mount it. My question here is: does anyone have any idea as to what I'm doing wrong and what I can do to fix it? (Without a working USB port means no internet. Which means I'll be in a state of hyperventelation soon if I can't get the wifi to work on my Linux machine. )

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Especially the punching bag in which I have been relieving stress upon.

Try this:
    Code:
    mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbstick
    Then see what happens and post back with any errors.
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

Okay. I tried what you suggested. This is what I got:

When I typed: /dev/sda1 I recieved "permission denied"
    /mnt/usbstick I received "no such file or directory"

Note: I don't think it's just the Flash Drive but, all the USB ports themselves. Shouldn't the ports automatically pick up what is shoved into them? Or does that require more modification?

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by SWCBNix
    Okay. I tried what you suggested. This is what I got:

When I typed: /dev/sda1 I recieved "permission denied"
    /mnt/usbstick I received "no such file or directory"

try to do that as root..
    The mount point /mnt/usbstick must exist(you need to create it,if it is not present)

regards

Quote Originally Posted by nature
    try to do that as root..
    The mount point /mnt/usbstick must exist(you need to create it,if it is not present)

regards

Well, I created the fstab part and the directory. Though, if i remember correctly I did some deleting. But, I Have beeing doing it all under root and still no dice.

Could you post the contents of your /etc/fstab and also the output of ls /mnt? It'll really help us out.
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

Quote Originally Posted by Javasnob
    Could you post the contents of your /etc/fstab and also the output of ls /mnt? It'll really help us out.
    As soon as I get the laptop back I would be more than glad to. But, unfortunately, my computer is across the hall and I have to make due with running back and forth between two computers in seperate rooms. So, could you please stick around for a while so I can get back to you with that info? But, I think my best bet is to configure the USB ports first. Might be a problem there.

PS I greatly appreciate the help from both of you, Javasnob and nature.

At me worked extraordinary!

Ok, here's the follow up on my thread. The problem with it was that Slackware kept installing improperly. So, trying to fix the USB problem was futile. Now, I have to wait for Slackware to arrive and see if installing it will work if not, it's my POS computer.

Thanks to all that helped.

-Linux Chix