Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I thought KDM did that by default? if not I guess you'd want to be looking at the KDM config file to add such an option, this is if I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

I thought KDM did that by default?

if not I guess you'd want to be looking at the KDM config file to add such an option, this is if I get you correctly.

Linux Newbie
    so the question is HOW can i DO such a thing that will enable me to CHOOSE between KDE and flux upon entering the login screen. .
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

Linux Enthusiast
    http://madpenguin.org/cms/index.php/?m=show&id=325

I believe this is what you want, if you use KDM, which is default if you have KDE installed.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    ok, il do this when i get home.. Mr. OZAR also gave me a link. . il try to apply the suggested links.. thanks
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

Linux Newbie

whewwww: solved!!!

i got the track!!! i edited xinitrc.fluxbox

i changed the default location to /usr/local/bin/startfluxbox

that's aLL. .

(i already have my .fluxbox dir )

thanks to the helpers of my post!! Sir OZAR, KERN and JavaSnob. . .

now its time for me to go further with their docs. . . another road to challenge

Linux Enthusiast
    may I ask why your fluxbox binary is in /usr/local/bin ?

I take it you're not using the fluxbox package that came with slackware?

ah

Linux Newbie
    yup I did not used the default of slack. I downloaded a new source from the site. . actually it was suggested to me by a friend.. (in that way I WILL BE able to LEARN.. and not just use the packages i see. . ) from compiling, and tweaking my box..

Xcess : m confused.. what does binary mean? im always thinking binary as the term in MATH..

Linux Enthusiast
    just sounds like hard work to me ,

you learn nothing compiling stuff, and as you said, you didn't have a ~/.fluxbox directory when you compiled your own fluxbox package (it was a package wasnt it?), in my opinion if a package comes with slack, I use it. compiling your own doesnt offer much, if any of a performance increase. and simply wastes your time compiling something that is a package on the cdrom anyway.

its hardly difficult to configure, make, and make a package from a source tarball, unless its a kernel which takes a little more effort and knowledge.

binary = built from source executable

i.e my fluxbox binary in /usr/local/bin

you see?

Linux Newbie
    i got ur point.. but mine is. . since i am just starting to explore the world of linux, i am being advise to do the possible tasks without being dpendent too much in the READY made packages... its like "practice makes perfect" yes as u say compiling is not that challenging? but for me.. i gives me the confidence of handling such things... (of course compared to an expert / advance users like you guys..) i really need more confidence on doing such things. . time may come that when i reached the stage wherein i almost know it all.. il just be dpendent on ready made packages. . . im coming from a student point of view. .

now i know. . basically a binary is the source location of ANY executable apllication ? did i got it right?

Linux Enthusiast
    no, a binary is what you build from the source.

i.e

"I built my fluxbox binary from the source tarball"

binary = executable = built from source.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2