Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to install a new version of kernel. I never did that before. Can someone help me with a tutorial. I've searched google but could find for slackware. Thanks!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installing new kernel

I want to install a new version of kernel.
    I never did that before.

Can someone help me with a tutorial. I've searched google but could find for slackware.

Thanks!

The Slackbook answers almost all questions related to Slackware. Follow these steps and you should be good to go.

Link
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Enthusiast
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

Just Joined!

slackbook

Hi,
    I'm running slackware.
    I need to install a new version of the kernel.
    I did try to follow the steps outlined in the slackbook but something went wrong (I don't know where exactly) and I got a kernel panic error message on booting my linux ...

I had to install a fresh new version .. now I'm going to try with the link suggested in the previous message ..

I must be positive about it and keep saying to myself 'I can do it I can do it ..'

Linux Enthusiast
    just use pats packages, unless you want to learn to compile one I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by lukasjob
    Hi,
    I'm running slackware.
    I need to install a new version of the kernel.
    I did try to follow the steps outlined in the slackbook but something went wrong (I don't know where exactly) and I got a kernel panic error message on booting my linux ...
    Hi lukasjob,

It has been my observation that the problem you say you ran into is often because the step is overlooked where one has to create the initrd (initial ram disk). Did you create one for your file system as per Pat's instruction on the second cd?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Enthusiast
    I've never created an initrd in Slack and have always been able to boot, all you have to make sure is that the file system you're using is not compiled as a module (i usually go with ext3, which is included in-kernel for most distros). It could be due to a number of reasons why you got the kernel panic, one of them might be because of your inexperience. I know it took me a few tries before I got a bootable kernel.

On a side note, the Slackbook's instructions are a bit vague, to say the least. Give this a try: http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Pocket-Linux...tml/index.html
    You might also want to read other Linux Documentation Project's guides/how-tos. I've learned quite a bit while reading things there.
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

Just Joined!
    Hi guys,
    thanks for your kind help,
    I'm a complete newbie so I guess it's going to take a little for me to understand the topic, I'm going to try something out this weekend (yeah .. instead of going out and get some sunshine and fresh air .. )