Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello there. I'm having a BIG SNMPD issue. I'm running a machine with a 3.00 ghz processor and 1 gb of RAM. Serviced that curently run on that machine are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SNMPD Memory problems

Hello there. I'm having a BIG SNMPD issue. I'm running a machine with a 3.00 ghz processor and 1 gb of RAM. Serviced that curently run on that machine are a pppoe server and net-snmpd that comes bundeld with Slackware 10.2. The nasty part is net-snmpd. The snmpd daemon is curently using half the system's memory and about every 7 days the server chrashes. The errors that are in the log file (about 200 mb of it avery few days) are:

error on subcontainer '' insert (-1)

netsnmp_assert index == tmp failed if-mib/data_access/interface.c:468 _access_interface_entry_save_name()

error on subcontainer '' insert (-1)

IF anyone of you has any ideas I'll really apreciate it. Thank you.

Just Joined!
    I hope this helps:

Do you have swap space on your computer? I do not know, but if you did, could that help the server? Also, does the server have temporary files? If it does, could trying to clear some of the temporary files out help?

Just Joined!
    1. I always (no matter how much RAM is installed in the system) I try to keep the SWAP space 1,5 x total physical RAM. This particular machine has a total of 1,5 GB swap space.

2. temporary file don't really exist since the service advertised is FTTB/FTTH (pppoe to be more specific).
    I've managed to solve the problem 90 % meaning that snmpd is out of the question. The bug resides in fact in the rp-pppoe-server and the database from where the users get authenticated. When I'll sove it compleatly, I'll post up the solution.