Find the answer to your Linux question:
now, correct me if I'm wrong on this, but pats kernel packages all have SMP and SMT disabled. In this day and age with modern dual core CPU's and many ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Slight niggle with pats stock kernels

now, correct me if I'm wrong on this, but pats kernel packages all have SMP and SMT disabled. In this day and age with modern dual core CPU's and many more people owning SMP boxes, it would be great if pat could provide a default kernel with both these options enabled. It offers little to no performance hit if enabled on a single CPU machine, and the only reason I compile my own kernels on my SMP dual p3 800 box is to enable SMP. If i had a kernel package that already provided this, I wouldn't need to touch my kernel or build it, and I could just let it be taken care of by the kernel packages provided, just as I do on my single CPU laptop and firewall server.

So.. am I right in saying its still not enabled? There might be no call for it of course. but it would save a lot of time and effort in my opinion.

Linux Enthusiast
    Last I check there's still no SMP support, but I don't think the Dual Core croud is what Pat's going after! And I also like to say that the only croud Pat is really after is Pat. I disagree with a lot of the decisions he make toward that distro, but like it enough that's it's one of my favorites. I usually just change what I have to a go my way.
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

Linux Enthusiast
    I understand you completely, but not enabling SMT in this day and age is silly.

Lots of HT and Dual core CPU's which could benefit from having HT enabled in the kernel.

Linux Enthusiast
    I entirely agree with you! But I also bet that Pat still does all development for Slackware on a 1.0GHz PIII, or equivalent. At least that's what it sound like! He refuses to recognize the 2.6 series of kernel as the latest stable tree and that people with 486 processor probably don't have the RAM to run full X (since X and all it's apps are optimized for 486).
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

Linux Enthusiast
    oh my god

dreams DO come true,

this is from "slackware/CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT"

* extra/linux-smp-2.6.17.13/* - added a 2.6.17.13 kernel, modules,
    and headers with SMP and hyperthreading support, optimized for
    i686 or better cores (including dual core CPUs).