Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
guys here is the situation: 1. i downloaded openoffice from their site.. checked the md5sum; its matched. 2. converted ALL .rpm to .tgz 3. i have already installed all components ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

need assistance in OPENOFFCE for slackware

guys here is the situation:

1. i downloaded openoffice from their site.. checked the md5sum; its matched.

2. converted ALL .rpm to .tgz

3. i have already installed all components

4. when i try to open the MENU UPDATING TOOL, openoffice was not there.

5. i tried opening through CLI, here is the output:

root@darkstar:~# /opt/openoffice.org2.0/program/soffice
    /opt/openoffice.org2.0/program/soffice.bin X11 error: Can't open display:
    Set DISPLAY environment variable, use -display option

is the error in xorg.conf? (but i have not encountered this thing when i started KOFFICE and other apps)
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

oz
    forum.guy
    Hi, icedtea

I'm not really sure what the problem might be with the current package but you can get a Slackware-ready .tgz package for OpenOffice 2.0.3 over at LinuxPackages.net:

http://www.linuxpackages.net/pkg_details.php?id=7951

Maybe it'll work where the other one won't - hope it helps.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    yes sir i also know that one.. BUT my friend used the package in the OO site.. and it was successfully installed . i have been browsing for similar case here in the forum.. I TRIED doing some related suggestions in xorg.conf BUT still.. same problem arise

ADDITIONAL :i have run OO in USER but still in ROOT (messsage posted still appears)
    i cant run it by GUI. i have already installed the openoffice-freedesktop etc. any help?
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

Linux Enthusiast
    why are you running any apps as root?

Linux Newbie
    hmm i miscalculated it. i have run OO in USER. it opened. m now tweaking on how to add the ICONS on my menu.

Linux Newbie

Thread Solved

i really miscalculated that apps should never be run using ROOT. . i have now tweaked my box and OO is now perfectly working for me. though i haven't tried making any documents yet

Just Joined!

the same error message

root or no root user,all gave me "/opt/openoffice.org2.0/program/soffice.bin X11 error: Can't open display:",why?how to solve?

Linux Newbie
    try re- installing OO

Just Joined!

Smile OOO from linuxpackages or zen mirrors

icedtea,
    i agree with ozar, above. i have loaded OOO (and other apps) from linuxpackages for my slackbox 10, and my zen 2.8. i look there, first for slackpkg needs. the zen mirrors also have a prepackaged OOO made for your zenbox in current/extra. good stuff, like lame, xmms are found there, too
    regards,
    NS

I'm running 10.2 and the latest OpenOffice package from Linuxpackages.net works perfectly. If you suspect permission issues being the source of problems with an uncooperative app and want to run as root to see, as regular user:
    Code:
    kdesu /opt/openoffice.org2.0/program/soffice
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast