Find the answer to your Linux question:
dont know if this belongs here but Im running Slackware Hey. Im a bit new to linux. I have experimented with slackware before, thought I'd fire it up again, then ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help with python site packages

dont know if this belongs here but Im running Slackware

Hey. Im a bit new to linux. I have experimented with slackware before, thought I'd fire it up again, then I discovered Cedega. I need to install DBus-Python as one thing to get it to work, but after downlaoding the file im completely stumped. I dont know how to start setup. There is a file called setup.py but I don't know how to execute it. I have python installed, so I tried python setup.py and it returns

bash-3.00# python setup.py
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "setup.py", line 9, in <module>
    from Pyrex.Distutils import build_ext
    ImportError: No module named Pyrex.Distutils

I don't know what this means, or where I can get the module "Pyrex.Distutils" and after installing it, how to get it to recognize it.

As I said, I am a bit new to Linux, and I hope someone can help walk me through this. Thanks in advance
    http://dbus.freedesktop.org/releases/dbus-0.91.tar.gz <- The tgz of DBus-Python

Just Joined!
    Here is the package I recently compiled. After the installation, restart udev or the computer, and then run /etc/rc.d/rc.messagebus.

Just Joined!
    Ehh..is that going to work? It should be DBus-Python, not just DBus, I also put the wrong link, this is the tar.gz of DBus-Python http://dbus.freedesktop.org/releases...on-0.71.tar.gz
    And could you point me to a guide of how to compile those?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotion
    Ehh..is that going to work? It should be DBus-Python, not just DBus, I also put the wrong link, this is the tar.gz of DBus-Python http://dbus.freedesktop.org/releases...on-0.71.tar.gz
    And could you point me to a guide of how to compile those?
    It will work (i'm using it). The bindings were split after 0.90, so this has python, qt3 and glib included. 0.62 is still the recommended version.

Just Joined!
    Oh ok, thanks, now about another dependency,
    /bin/sh is needed by cedega-small-5.2.3-1
    Does this mean I dont have that directory? 0_o
    EDIT: ok that is definetly innaccurate because I do have sh, i guess those are just default depencies, and its not really checking which i do and dont have.
    Now I installed the cedega tgz and when I type cedega I get
    F1 2006-08-11 16:52:01,029 CRITICAL Unable to load GTK2 Python bindings: No module named gtk

But I definetly installed all of the dependencies, so whats the problem

EDIT: I read somewhere to add these two lines to the appropriate spot:
    import sys
    sys.path.append('/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0')
    which I did, and I still get the same error (all my python packages were in there and not usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/) But I stil get the error, what exactly should I be seeing in that directory? (/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0)

bash-3.00# cd /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/
    bash-3.00# ls
    dsextras.py dsextras.pyc dsextras.pyo gobject

nevermind this is a whole new problem=whole new thread