Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by kern 11.0 is just slackware-current , anyone with a bit of savvy can upgrade to it I wouldn't say theres much point though, unless you have a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by kern
    11.0 is just slackware-current , anyone with a bit of savvy can upgrade to it

I wouldn't say theres much point though, unless you have a case like yours
    On a side note kern, what is your opinion of SeaMonkey?

Linux Enthusiast
    I haven't used it to be honest, it looks like a good all round package for the net, but it seems like overkill for me, I dont use IRC anymore etc.

thunderbird and firefox for me, although firefox seems to get more unstable for me with every release, I've tried opera a few times but always ended up coming back, oh well. flash gives me pain in linux too.

I guess the best way to find out about seamonkey is to install the package and give it a spin though!

Quote Originally Posted by kern

I guess the best way to find out about seamonkey is to install the package and give it a spin though!
    Will do, as soon as I get this ^%$#*^% wireless card up and running!

UPDATE: I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.17 and reinstalled ndiswrapper. After doing a ndiswrapper -l, I see driver present, hardware present. The WEP key and essid are configured. I still can not access my wireless network. If I do an ifconfig, I see that there is a loopback. I do ifconfig lo down to get rid of that. I am stumped.

Linux Enthusiast
    you need that loopback

when you do an ifconfig, is that all you see? lo ?

if so , you need to have eth0 or eth1 configured as your wlan setup

All I see is lo. There is no eth0 or eth1 in ifconfig. In iwconfig, eth0 is listed as the wifi card. I tried ifconfig eth0 up and that didn't help. So I need to bring the loopback up in ifconfig. How do I get Slackware to recognize eth0 in ifconfig?

Linux Enthusiast
    it might not be eth0, it could be eth1,

I'm not sure why its not bringing it up on boot though, my laptop does that sometimes and I just configure it after.

but , you have to configure with iwconfig and ifconfig of course, or you can use rc.wireless.conf to setup your details

I have the driver and hardware recognized. I have a script that sets the essid and the WEP key. iwconfig shows the card as eth0. ifconfig only shows lo. I do a ifconfig etho up and I get "SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory". I do a ifconfig -a and I see that eth0 is there. It states:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:14:A5:23:BD:6B
    BROADCAST NOTRAILERS MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX Packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 {0.0 b} TX bytes:0 {0.0 b}
    Interrupt:5

iwconfig eth0 states:

eth0 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:"wireless" Nickname:"chris"
    Mode:Managed Access Point:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF Bit Rate=1 Mb/s
    RTS thr:off Frament thr:off
    Encryption key:omitted Security mode:open
    Link Quality:0 Signal Level:0 Noise Level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

The wireless network is up, the encrytion key is valid, there are no MAC address filters on the router, the essid is right. I am thinking that I will need to get eth0 to show up under ifconfig somehow, but ifconfig eth0 up triggers the error shown above. If anyone has ANY ideas, I would appreciate it.

Linux Enthusiast
    very odd, I know it isnt related, but I had mine all setup but it didnt start working until I dropped their firmware image in.

I know you use ndiswrapper and all, gah. I'm not sure what to suggest, not played with ndiswrapper myself, I'm lucky my laptops wifi is supported well in 2.6

UPDATE and subsequent plea for help:

I am pretty new to Linux and I am having trouble getting wireless to work. Here is my situation. I have Slackware 10.2 and kernel 2.6.17. I have loaded and run ndiswrapper. I have an HP zd8000 laptop with a Broadcom internal wireless card. After compiling and running ndiswrapper, I enter: ndiswrapper -l and get back bcmwl5 driver installed, hardware present. iwconfig shows that eth0 is my wireless card. I created a script called wireless in vi and after I run it I enter iwconfig again and eth0 is shown with all of the proper information such as ESSID, Encryption Key, Security Mode, ect. Here is where I am stuck:

When I enter ifconfig, all I see is lo and the local loopback's properties. I enter ifconfig -a and it shows eth0, eth1, lo, and sit0 all with more information. As I know the MAC adress of the wireless card, it is easy to confirm that, in fact, eth0 is my wireless card. So I assume that the next course of action would be the command ifconfig eth0 up. I enter this command and get the following result: SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory. Now there has got to be something that I am missing here.

What is the proper command to get eth0 active in ifconfig? Also, what other steps have I missed or do I need to take to get connected on my wireless network. I am relying on the wealth of knowledge of the people in this forum, because I have been to several other forums and read endless documentation both online and in the source code to no avail. I have been at this for 1 month now (I should say 3 weeks because I have gotten frustrated and gave up for a week). Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

ganooch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast