Find the answer to your Linux question:
What kind of packages do you usually install on a fresh install of Slackware? Don't throw me the slackware installation guide or the official book. I'm just curious....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Your basic installation list?

What kind of packages do you usually install on a fresh install of Slackware? Don't throw me the slackware installation guide or the official book.

I'm just curious.

Linux Enthusiast
    usually on a server , a+n+l

on a desktop, a+n+l+x+xap but I choose from those individually.

my server install is 322MB and hasnt changed for years.

Linux Enthusiast
    gotta have d/ for a desktop too, possibly, well I do.

not so much for a server though, I use pats packaged kernels for my server and keep it on 2.4, this way, when the OS upgrades, say 10.2 to 11.0, the kernel and modules will just get upgraded with it, much better than rolling your own for no other reason than upgrading, all the time.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    No graphical stuff...

Normally BIND (DNS), DHCP, APACHE (WEBSERVER), POSTFIX, OPENSSL, SAMBA, FTP. That's it.

i made full install (selected everything)
    more than 3GB of stuff

Linux Enthusiast
    For a basic desktop install I usually go with a, ap and l. That gives me a very basic install, without the bloat. Then I just install all the different packages seperately. Usually just dhcpcd, tcpip and wireless-tools from n; x11 and it's fronts from x; and some selected applications from xap. Usually I get a full desktop (with XFCE as the DE) in less than 1GB.
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

Thanks guys. Anyway a question, what's the very minimal required n packages? I only need networking for browsing and connecting to windows machines. Usually I use DHCP at office and at home ADSL

Linux Enthusiast
    i think you only need the tcpip package from n/ , maybe a couple others to support that.