Find the answer to your Linux question:
I think i'm making somthing really easy really hard. I need to run a tftp server on a slackware box but can't seem to find and active it. I edited ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Running a TFTP file server on slackware 10.2

I think i'm making somthing really easy really hard. I need to run a tftp server on a slackware box but can't seem to find and active it. I edited inetd.conf in /etc and un #'d the line for the tftpd but can't seem to find a tftpd app in anywhere on my comp. I also did a search on slackware.com and linuxpackages.net for it but couldn't locate it. What am i doing wrong here?

Linux Enthusiast
    thats it, once you've uncommented the tftp line in /etc/inetd.conf, it should start working through inetd.

in.tftpd is used solely by inetd, but you have /usr/bin/tftp for making connections and such.

may I ask why you need a tftp server? for netboot installs maybe?

Just Joined!
    ok, i see the in.tftpd. In the config line in inetd.conf it specifies /boottftp as the directory but i can't seem to locate this. Also if I change that line to say /home/tftp will it store and share files from that directory?

I'm using it to update scripts on routers located in remote loctions. They use tftp and the protocal to transfer the configs.

Linux Enthusiast
    yes, you can either make that directory or change it to suit.

Hey there, just what i was looking for.

I also just uncommented the line for tftp on a slackware 11 installation, but then typing the copy command on the cisco pix firewall, i get a 'Timed out attempting to connect error' message.

What am i missing? How do you restart inetd after modifying it?

Here's the line in /etc/inetd.conf that i un#'d, so you can more info:
    tftp dgram udp wait root /usr/sbin/in.tftpd in.tftpd -s /tftpboot -r blksize

Apparently, it was a permissions issue, writing to /tftpboot directory. Thanks for the help.