Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I start X Windows, it unfortunately shows a scrambled screen for an instant then after that just shows a blank black screen. I have KDE installed, and am wondering, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Issue with X Windows

When I start X Windows, it unfortunately shows a scrambled screen for an instant then after that just shows a blank black screen. I have KDE installed, and am wondering, what can I do to fix this?

Linux Enthusiast
    did it work before or is this a new install and its happening?

if so it's probably an xorg.conf problem, using xorgconfig will let you readjust the settings.

Just Joined!
    Ill try that, ya first time install, tried reinstalling but that didnt seem to fix anything.

Just Joined!
    im having the same problem, except that mine stays scrambled, im new to linux so i have no clue what to do. I have no idea wut u mean by KDE but if i press the buttons CTRL-ALT-BKSPACE the scrambled screen changes colors. Have u figured it out???

Just Joined!
    Well, I found that my issue is probably that it doesnt initially support dual monitors. But ya xorgconfig is nice for configuring the monitor/card.

Linux Enthusiast
    it does support dual monitors

this might help you, it has an X section

www.slackbook.org

Just Joined!
    Sorry, let me clarify what I said, I meant that it doesnt support dual monitors automatically when you first install.

Linux Enthusiast
    thats because you might as well ignore the default xorg config because you're supposed to use xorgconfig to make your own.

can't go relying on the default x config man. you could however run X --detect (is that it? or is it xorgconfig --detect) and it will produce an autodetected xorg.conf in your local directory which you can then alter to suit.

when i did this it did find my dual head setup and configured it perfectly.