Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello all, I just installed Slackware 11-rc1 (current) a couple of nights ago after reading Pat's message in the changelog. It's been a while since I've really used Slack on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help configuring Linksys WMP54G (Ralink rt2561 chipset) under Slackware-11???

Hello all,
    I just installed Slackware 11-rc1 (current) a couple of nights ago after reading Pat's message in the changelog. It's been a while since I've really used Slack on a day to day basis. Up until recently I've been using Gentoo on my laptop and FreeBSD on my desktop. I have to admit, I've been curious about the version 11 release ever since the release of 10.1, so once Mr. Volkerding made it official by stating that this release candidate would be of the highly anticipated version 11 branch, I couldn't wait anymore . Which brings me to my dilemma...

The box for which I have bestowed thy current OS upon is a Dell Dimension 4500:
    Code:
    * Dell Dimension 4500
    -->BIOS version A03
    * Intel Pentium 4
    -->2GHz (1993.580MHz) /512KB L2 Cache /400MHz FSB  
    * 1024Mb DDR RAM (2x512) @333MHz
    * Seagate 80Gb HDD
    -->Dual Boot setup 40Gb WinXP/ 40Gb Slackware
    * Wireless NIC
    -->Linksys WMP54G (Ralink RT2561 Chipset)
    * Ethernet NIC
    -->DLink DFE-530TX+ (VIA RHINE-III)
    ...I have the DFE-530TX connected to a Linksys EZXS55W 5 port Workgroup Switch, which is then connected to a Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router that is connected to my cable modem.

Now I'm trying to get this wireless card running because for some odd reason my wired ethernet connection is running incredibly slooowwww!!! So I followed the diections as described here, however when I get to the part that says...
    Code:
    cd build
    ./rt2500.SlackBuild
    ....I get a permission denied error. The odd part about all this is that I'm in "SuperUser" mode which is why I can't understand if not root then who??? I can only hope that someone can make some sense about what my problem is . As usual, any suggestions are always appreciated, thanx .

Linux Enthusiast
    can you post the contents of the slackbuild script?

does it have read and execute permissions for root?

Just Joined!
    Actually, I've already corresponded with the author of this "SlackBuild" script and he told me that there was a misprint onhis part and that he had already corrected it on the WiKi page...
    Instead of:
    Code:
    cd build
    ./rt2500.SlackBuild
    ...it was supposed to be:
    Code:
    cd build
    sh rt2500.SlackBuild
    However, he also told me that this was the wrong driver for my particular card and that I would have to download and install the "RT61" driver for which he has yet to write a script for (bummer). Hmmm, I guess that's probably why I couldn't get this card to under FreeBSD??? Anyway, so I downloaded the "RT61" driver module and untarred it under the /root home directory and I am now trying to figure out how to properly configure this module, any suggestions????

Linux Enthusiast
    I would put a kernel source in /usr/src for it to compile against,

after it compiles you should have a module you can load, or, it will auto install it with make install , into /lib/modules/<youkernelversion>

Just Joined!
    Currently my /usr/src directory has this in it...
    Code:
    # ls /usr/src
    linux  linux-2.4.32  patches-2.4.32  rpm  speakup-2.4.32
    I would like to upgrade my kernel to a 2.6 series kernel. I'm wondering though, if I were to compile "RT61" driver module against the 2.4 series kernel, would I have to recompile it after I upgrade to the new kernel???

Yes. Everytime you change the kernel, you need to recompile all the modules against it.

Just Joined!
    Okay, so now I'm trying to compile the src code for this driver module and I'm getting these error's...
    Code:
    rtmp_main.c:51: error: syntax error before "int"
    rtmp_main.c:51: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `module_param'
    rtmp_main.c:51: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
    rtmp_main.c:51: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    rtmp_main.c:55: error: syntax error before numeric constant
    rtmp_main.c:55: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `module_param'
    rtmp_main.c:55: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
    rtmp_main.c:55: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    make[2]: *** [rtmp_main.o] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/southpaw76/rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module'
    make[1]: *** [_mod_/home/southpaw76/rt61-1.1.0-b1/Module] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.32'
    rt61.o failed to build!
    make: *** [module] Error 1
    ...I tried this originally under my /root home directory with the same result before I moved the file to "/home/southpaw76", untarred, cd ., and ran "make"....

So, is this error a result of something that I might have overlooked or just a bug which requires squashing???

Hi Southpaw,

As you might remember from your BSD thread, I've used this card in Slackware 10.2 and CentOS, and it works *ok* with the Ralink 2500 driver under 2.6 kernel. I have had problems with it locking my CentOS sytem though. I've been back and forth between the rt2500 Linux driver and runnung it with ndiswrapper, and my experience has been that its performance is far better running with Ndiswrapper and the WinXP RT2500 driver. Should you decide to upgrade to 2.6, this card is easily enabled with ndiswrapper and I think you would be very happy with its performance and stability.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 08-20-2006 at 01:52 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Linux Enthusiast
    agreed, upgrade to 2.6 before trying to compile or load that module

Just Joined!
    You guys were right about the kernel thing... Apparently, the RT61 driver module compiled without any issues after I installed the 2.6 series kernel. However, there seems to some kind of problem after I compiled the driver and then rebooted. For some reason when my system was booting back up and it got to "dhcpcd" everything sort of locked up . Does this sound familiar to you guys???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast