Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
i believe i've figured it all out now. the problem was i chose the wrong kernel in setting up the virtual machine. i chose 2.6.x, but this time i showed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

i believe i've figured it all out now. the problem was i chose the wrong kernel in setting up the virtual machine. i chose 2.6.x, but this time i showed 2.4.x, and it seems to be installing. i just need to know, does slackware create its own boot menu where i can choose either windows xp or slackware to boot? or do i need to make individual boot disks for each OS?

Linux Newbie
    slackware has LILO as boot loader
    install it on MBR

http://www.slackbook.org/html/booting.html

no slackware automatic adds your windows ....i have tryedwith lilo to...it works fine dont worry
    just install it on MBR of /dev/hda

Just Joined!
    i decided to try redoing the installer, went fine again, and the lilo menu shows, where it asks if i should choose simple, expert, etc. so obviously, i choose simple. then its asks where to install, and u guys says MBR, so i can choose between windows xp and slackware. but how do i choose it to install LILO to the MBR of the main harddrive and not the linux partition?

you have to choose MBR of your primary ide master...one hdd has only one MBR and that is not the same thing like partition...
    so install lilo on MBR od /dev/hda
    just choose lilo and than MBR..thats all

Just Joined!
    alright, but there is still one huge problem. in the liloconfig when i choose " Add a windows FAT or NTFS partition...my windows partition isnt there...

is there no /dev/hda1 ....strange
    well is still possible to add windows later...
    and newer is not to late to fixmbr...

all can be fixed

Just Joined!
    in the liloconfig, when i choose to add a windows partition, it isnt there. and when i run the

fdisk -l

command, i only get /dev/sda

the only other thing i was thinking was to make the linux my partition the one i want my computer to boot first, since i wont be using windows xp that much anyway, but im not sure how to do that either.

oh if is sda than you have sata HDD....
    /dev/sda is windows...

Just Joined!
    well apparently, slackware had not actually installed to the partition. i restart the pc and i get "missing os". im like oh not again. but i did have this boot manager floppy, so i was able to boot windows. when i checked partition magic, the partition i made for linux is still the same size it was when i made it, so the real issue is that it hasnt actually installed to the partition, only installed it as my virtual machine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast