Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed slack 10.0 on my laptop and the sound card is not detected(i think so) I tried alsaconf in konsole and a error was displayed saying "NO SUPPORTED ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Problem with sound

I have installed slack 10.0 on my laptop and the sound card is not detected(i think so)
    I tried alsaconf in konsole and a error was displayed saying "NO SUPPORTED PNP OR PCI CARD FOUND WOULD YOU LIKE TO PROBE LEGACY ISA CARDS/CHIPS"
    and when i pressed ok it was displayed "PROBING LEGACY ISA CARDS MIGHT MAKE YOUR SYSTEM UNSTABLE" and when i pressed ok it showed a box which had some 8 choices for drivers(all 8 choices were marked) and i pressed ok it took some minutes to display no drives have been detected what should i do to solve my problem

Just Joined!
    Hey
    You need to find out if you have a compatible soundcard.
    check the konsole with
    $ lspci -v
    to see if there is any Multimedia audio
    and check here (ALSA list) if anything matches.
    If alsaconf does not work you might need to install manually through ALSA. That is if the soundcard is compatible.

Just Joined!
    well i tried everything i use a laptop and my soundcard is intel 915 gm
    my sound card is not at all being detected may be because i use slack 10.0 and ver is 2.4 and may be i need to upgrade my kernal and i will do it in a short time and then check it
    "what i want to know now is wheather linux is compatible with laptops"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratnakar Kulkarni
    "what i want to know now is wheather linux is compatible with laptops"
    Generally speaking it is, but there's always a chance for hardware issues. I've read lots of success stories with laptops running Suse and Ubuntu. You could also try Slackware 10.2 as version 10.0 is now a bit outdated.
    oz

TKS
    Just Joined!

sound problems

I run SUSE 10.2 and i have a gateway 7322GZ , my sound card is working fine ubuntoo and slack have compatibility problems. go with a solid distro also open kmix and make sure that the external settings are turned off this will keep the sound card from working , i have used suse for the past two years and have never had a sound card problem