Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I'm running Slackware-Current (11-rc2) , with Fluxbox-1.0rc2 and all is well . However, I'm doing a little bit of tweaking to my desktop and I was wondering if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fluxbox wallpaper tweaking and such???

Hello all,
    I'm running Slackware-Current (11-rc2), with Fluxbox-1.0rc2 and all is well . However, I'm doing a little bit of tweaking to my desktop and I was wondering if a couple of things were possible...

* First of all, I was wondering if there is a way to change your wallpaper on the fly like from the right click menu???
    In other words right now I've got all of my wallpapers saved under "~/.fluxbox/backgrounds". I also have my wallpaper setter set to look in my "~/.fluxbox/init" file under "~/.fluxbox/overlay" as suggested in the latest "How-To's".
    I would like to be able to look in my menu and pick from a backgrounds section, so that I can switch backgrounds on the fly sort of like the styles directory.

As always, any ideas or suggestions are always welcome, thanx ...

Linux Enthusiast
    I have a desktop wallpapers directory ~/Pictures/wallpapers and I wrote a perl script on a cron job to change it to a random one every 15 minutes. I then bound the script to my fluxbox menu just by executing it in bash.

i dont think it'd be *too* hard to write a script to present a menu of wallpapers from a certain directory... in fact i might even try it as a challenge tomorrow!

you can have the random script if you like, but i heard a year after writing it that you can just use 'fbsetbg -r <dir>' for the same interval based random effect.

bah

Just Joined!
    Yeah, I may want to give that a shot later on down the road, but for now, I got this tip from another fellow Flux-Slacker on Linuxquestions.org by the name of rigelan (gotta give credit where credit is due ).
    In the ~/.fluxbox/menu file add this...
    Code:
    [submenu] (Wallpaper)
       [wallpapers] (~/.fluxbox/backgrounds) {fbsetbg -f}
    [end]
    ...And then in ~/.fluxbox/init I added....
    Code:
    session.screen0.rootCommand:  fbsetbg -l
    ...And viola, now whatever wallpaper I put in ~/.fluxbox/backgrounds, will show up under my right click menu. Then I can choose it on the fly and it will be there after I reboot, sweet

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    sweet, congrats

I use that fluxbox init command too, although I have mine set to that random script so every time I start flux its a different wallpaper

glad you found out how to do it.