Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, Ive tried on many occasions to get my Leadtek Winfast PVR2000 tv tuner card to work. It is the only thing keeping me from switching over fully to linux. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

getting winfast PVR2000 to work

Hey,
    Ive tried on many occasions to get my Leadtek Winfast PVR2000 tv tuner card to work. It is the only thing keeping me from switching over fully to linux. I would really appreciate a walkthrough of how this process is done.

I have linux 2.4.31 installed with Slackware 10.2 and Dropline Gnome 2.14

Thanks!
    Greg

Just Joined!
    I believe that this can be a walkthrough:

There are several ways to see if your computer can let it work completely. So, being very careful, this is speculation (I am unclear) as to a means to install the hardware:

First, make note of what the COMPUTER says AS WELL AS of what the hardware people or computer people say (sometimes it says one thing, but is actually another; this most likely means that Linux has seen some other way it is identified or whatever, which does happen at times)

Second, once you are sure of what it says, go to either the hardware manufacturer's web site or search the Internet to search for the driver for Linux (this means that there may be some things you need to get and set up first before trying the device)

Third, pay careful attention if any is found. There are things called extentions which show you what to do to get the information once the thing is downloaded. Some extentions include: '.tar' (tarball), '.tgz' (package or compressed file or whatever), '.gz' or '.tar.gz' (gzipped or gzipped tarball), '.bz2' or '.tar.bz2' (bzipped or bzipped tarball)

Fourth, extract the information as follows: if the file ends in 'tar' or whatever, then issue:
    tar -xvvf file.tar
    or whatever. If it ends in '.tar.gz', then issue:
    tar -xvvzf file.tar.gz
    or whatever (the 'z' is because of the '.gz' at the end). If it ends in '.tar.bz2', then you first issue:
    bunzip2 file.tar.bz2
    and then follow what you do for either '.tar' or '.tar.gz'

One note: If the file extracts from CD or something else, then issue 'ls -a' and look for the file name without the extention first to see what or where, because the probability is that it extracts from the other source to your ~ (root) directory or folder!

Once you have it extracted, since the computer sets up the directories anyway, issue 'cd' to wherever, and read the notes on installing it (setting it up)

Another note: Setting this up is very important in what directions are followed. For instance, when I once went to set up a printer in RedHat, the thing told me to STOP certain things, set the software up, and START them, so read up on how to do those things if necessary!

Now, to start the setup of the software, once any thing like gnu make or gcc is updated (again, read the documentation about that!):

First, type './configure' so it can configure the thing to be set up. I guess that this helps with various systems and all. If there are any options that you have to say, then type './configure --OPTIONSET' where OPTIONSET is the set of options you wish to use (for instance, if I am setting it up here, but the library is somewhere else thaty it needs)

Then you type 'make' or if there are any options you have to say, 'make --OPTIONSET', OPTIONSET being your options. This actually can put some things together

Now that you have run configuration and make, you type 'make install' to install it. I believe that what happens is a set of things that go on to put the stuff in place. Again, any options that you have to say (read the directions, of course) can be said like in the other cases

One note: If the thing says that you can run 'make test' or whatever, I would advise executing 'make test' or whatever, because it may test the thing to be sure it works (of course, read the instructions). This can test the hardware, but run it when you have been done with certain things that it needs to take care of first!

Any configuration information that is entered afterwards should be looked at beforehand so there is no problem, or there is as close to no human error as possible (elimination in asymptosy of human error). Some information has to be entered afterward, so again, when you can, read the instructions to see what you need to do

Once everything is done, restart your computer, and see if it works. If it does not, then you may need to congifure your kernel, and that information is in the system

I hope this helps. Remember that this is only ONE possibility out of many, and it is not always the right one either. I also hope this is not too rude, because the reason I keep mentioning about documentation or whatever is that I have had those problems as well, and it can cause extreme hassle sometimes if you do NOT pay attention

Again I hope this helps