Find the answer to your Linux question:
This maybe impossible Is there anyway I can burn a cd to a Linux computer from a Windows one? Thanks...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Burning remotely

This maybe impossible

Is there anyway I can burn a cd to a Linux computer from a Windows one?

Thanks
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Linux Enthusiast
    SSH?

or a web burning frontend? some exist, I'll search later.

network cdr etc I think they are called

I'd just use ssh and cdrecord on the command line, I use cdrecord regardless anyway.

I often do this, but I burn files that are on the linux box already. I go from linux to linux - I open a ssh session with X forwarding.
    Code:
    ssh -X 192.168.1.192 -l username
    and then launch K3b. You can browse the remote linux computer's files in K3b as it is actually running remotely.

The things to note are
    • You need to enable X forwarding in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and restart the ssh service
    • You need to have some kind of X server environment - Exceed, Reflection X or Cygwin
    • Going this method is similar to using VNC or similar
    To get the files you want to burn onto disc you will first need to transfer them. You can configure NFS, Samba or simply scp the files to the remote machine. Possibly the simplest way to do this is with a Samba share running.

I was thinking about emulating a cd driver in the windows machine and for example send to burn with nero to that drive and get burnt in in my linux box
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums