Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everybody here in the slackware linux comunity. I am a newbie to both slackware and linux, I chose slackware because from what I hear its fast and theres alot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual Booting

Hey everybody here in the slackware linux comunity.
    I am a newbie to both slackware and linux, I chose slackware because from what I hear its fast and theres alot to learn, I want to know as much as I can about linux and I want to be able to do stuff faster, and slackware seems to fit in both categorys.

I wish to Dual Boot linux with windows, incase I have to use windows to run programs that cant be run on linux, but I will mainly be using linux. I know that at the start, when the disk boots, Fdisk partions your drive and once its finished you must type "setup" in the console and the setup program will start.

Since I know very little of linux I find it hard to understand the installtion tutorials currently on the net and I would like someone here on the linux forums to explain me , step by step, how to install linux on my Intell core solo laptop.

Thanks in advance,
    - Heetlar

First install Windows and partition only what you need for the programs
    leave the rest of the space on the drive unallocated for linux.
    Second install linux use the unallocated partition for linux and follow the directions. After the installs are complete you will be able to boot ether windows or linux.

Quote Originally Posted by heetlar
    Hey everybody here in the slackware linux comunity.
    I am a newbie to both slackware and linux, I chose slackware because from what I hear its fast and theres alot to learn, I want to know as much as I can about linux and I want to be able to do stuff faster, and slackware seems to fit in both categorys.

I wish to Dual Boot linux with windows, incase I have to use windows to run programs that cant be run on linux, but I will mainly be using linux. I know that at the start, when the disk boots, Fdisk partions your drive and once its finished you must type "setup" in the console and the setup program will start.

Since I know very little of linux I find it hard to understand the installtion tutorials currently on the net and I would like someone here on the linux forums to explain me , step by step, how to install linux on my Intell core solo laptop.

Thanks in advance,
    - Heetlar
    slackware and linux are the same thing.Slackware is linux distribution.Slackware has text install only but dont be afraid.Its easy to install.
    here is an exellent tutorial how to install slackware linux.STEP BY STEP WITH SCREENSHOTS.
    http://www.bamafolks.com/~randy/stud...e/booting.html

Talking Great Manual On www.slackware.com

I was a Red Hat Linux user before I got into Slack. I found reading and following the html Slack Book online was my best tool. You might start off with a few difficulties but if you slowly walk through the install process you will be good. Yes, seeing the text as apposed to a nice pretty GUI does catch you off guard, but really don't fret. It walks you through everything!

As for learning, "Practical Guide To Linux", The Slack Book (I purchased it a year ago to finally pay them for their great work on this book), The Linux Bible is ok, and since you are using Slack you might even find some command help in most Unix books. Good luck, enjoy Slack and its great features!

Although Slackware is a bit harder (no apt, yum or anything like that by default) it worth the effort.
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

my first linux is mandrake 9.0, but i think this so easy to configure [like windowz]
    so i found slackware n i like that, couse unix like!