Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new to Linux and have just installed slackware 10.2 on my sytem. I prefer GNOME to KDE and thought of giving freerock a try since I have heard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with freerock GNOME

I am new to Linux and have just installed slackware 10.2 on my sytem. I prefer GNOME to KDE and thought of giving freerock a try since I have heard that it does not alter the system much. So I installed freerock using their net installation facility by just typing in the following command as root in a KDE environment.
    It installed freerock on my system (I should say I got that message)
    Now to start freerock i needed to type in the following command
    cd /etc/X11/xinit ; ln -f xinitrc.gnome xinitrc
    However I got the following message
    ln: accessing `xinitrc.gnome': No such file or directory
    I did a lot of search on this issue but didnt find anything relevant as far as my slackware knowledge goes ( read as a newborn baby's knowledge of the world).
    Please help me.

Linux Enthusiast
    So does xinitrc.gnome exist, or not? Have you searched for it? When you get to the login screen does it let you change the session to something else, such as Gnome? You really do need to give us more info and what you've done so far... Generally, I think if you boot into runlevel 4 (default graphical runlevel in Slack) you should be able to just choose which session you want from the options and not have to deal with xinitrc.
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

Just Joined!
    So does xinitrc.gnome exist, or not? Have you searched for it? When you get to the login screen does it let you change the session to something else, such as Gnome?
    Hey thanks bidi to respond to the problem...
    It seems that xinirc.gnome was not installed in the directori xinit. I did search for it and even had a friend provide me his xinitrc.gnome. I linked it to the xinitrc.
    However when I restarted the system keeping Gnome as my default environment I got a message saying that Gnome-session was not to be found anywhere.
    I guess the net install went bad. 26 packages were upgraded and only 35 installed and 69MB utilized for the installation.
    And it broke other third party software too (mozilla firefox for example). Tried reinstalling them. But reinstalling slackware was the only solution to get those softwares working again as before. I guess I will have to wait for a friend to download the freerock iso for me.
    Thanks again.