Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
if 2.6 wasn't included, you could just download and compile it. same for the mp3 and ogg codecs. that's what linux is about....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

if 2.6 wasn't included, you could just download and compile it. same for the mp3 and ogg codecs. that's what linux is about.

Linux Enthusiast
    be wary of selecting 2.6 kernel from the install menu , as for me it didnt install the modules package too.

i had a 2.6 kernel with 2.4.33 modules.

so I just went to init 1, removed both and put the 2.6 SMP packages on from extra/

compiling kernels is pointless, for me anyway, all hardware is supported straight out of the box

1 - cd 3 contains localisation files, so if your installation is english or us english there is no need for cd3.

2- I suggest installing the default kernel 2.4.33.3 and later you you can install kernel 2.6.17.13 of which there is the headers, sources and modules on cd2. There is a readme on cd2 which explains in 4 steps (half a screen lenght) how to install-it. I would classify this installation at almost newbie level.

Since Slackware 10.0 there was always a 2.6kernel included, it always has been at a few installpkg away.

The one thing I don't understand, is why is it that some people believe that a 2.4 kernel can't be used on a server? This is the point with slackware, the 2.4kernel for stability and bleeding edge if that's what you want.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by glussier
    The one thing I don't understand, is why is it that some people believe that a 2.4 kernel can't be used on a server? This is the point with slackware, the 2.4kernel for stability and bleeding edge if that's what you want.
    slackware 10.2, kernel 2.4 didn't recognize my harddisk... it threw 'kernal panic' error. kernel 2.6 (test26.s) worked fine... installation was successful BUT it didn't recognize a very common, three button mouse.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    slackware 10.2, kernel 2.4 didn't recognize my harddisk... it threw 'kernal panic' error. kernel 2.6 (test26.s) worked fine... installation was successful BUT it didn't recognize a very common, three button mouse.
    I had the same mouse problem with Slack 11. Apparently the version of the 2.6 kernel that's included doesn't have any of the required modules it needs for basic things like mouse support.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I never installed 10.2 so I wouldn't know about these problems. I have 10.1 on 3 systems running kernel 2.6 thought I was using 2.4 for sometime and never had 1 single problem. I have 11.0 installed on 1 computer, I installed 2.4.33 and it was working great, upgraded to 2.6.17 a few days later and still no problem. The most I really had to do is to manually edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf to get the mouse working.

Just Joined!
    i dont hesitate any more.i just tried it out and liked it. now i want to compile a new kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Apparently the version of the 2.6 kernel that's included doesn't have any of the required modules it needs for basic things like mouse support.
    yes ! support for basic things is missing. when mouse didn't work, i said to myself,'Ok ! i can live without Mouse for a while. lets explore it a bit more'.
    well ! it didnt recognize bluetooth dongle.
    hcitool scan -- command not found, rfcomm -- command not found

desktop manager is KDE and KPPP has an option to set /dev/rfcomm0 as modem. BUT 2.6 kernel dont know what 'rfcomm' is. hmmm... couldn't connect to internet... i dumped it...

its working for others... good...

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Enthusiast
    it doesnt have mouse support because if you look, it doesnt install the modules for the 2.6 kernel you choose in the install menu.

if you install the 2.6 kernel / module pkgs manually, it will work

Just Joined!
    The external USB mouse didn't work for me either with the 2.6 kernel, but did with 2.4. I also had issue with my sound card, but I run on a Sony VAIO, so I thought those problems were just because of my choice of platform.

However, I recompiled the kernel, and got the right mix of modules and built in drivers and it's good as gold now. The only thing that isn't working properly is the wide screen res on X. I can only get 1024x768 instead of 1280x768 (I think that's what the res is supposed to be capable of).

Sure it took me 4 or 5 attempts at the kernel, but it's all good now and it's a completely custom kernel to my needs. No extra junk in there. You guys should look into it. Compiling a kernel isn't as scary as it sounds, it's just time consuming. And it's a lot of fun too.

Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and you have to reboot with your old kernel image (the joy of boot managers allow you this luxury).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2