Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
because of its 2.4 kernel.and i will not use it for server or something significant.i will use it simply because i want to use something else from window.what do you ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

i hesitate to download slackware...

because of its 2.4 kernel.and i will not use it for server or something significant.i will use it simply because i want to use something else from window.what do you recommend me to do?

i didn't understand your question. slackware 10.2 has an option for 2.6 kernel ( test26.s ). instead of 2.4, you can install that.

please explain your query a little more.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    i thought it had kernel 2.4 .since i know that it has kernel 2.6,theres no problem.

Don't hesitate, Slackware is great : I'm sure you'll like it (or you'll find out it's not for you).

As for the 2.6 kernel, of course Slackware use a 2.4 kernel by default, but :
    Quote Originally Posted by Slackware 11.0 Release Announcement
    Slackware 11.0 also fully supports the 2.6 kernel series, with your choice of the well-tested 2.6.17.13 kernel in /extra (including a version of this kernel that supports multiple processors, multi-core CPUs, HyperThreading, and about every other optimization available), or the recently released 2.6.18 kernel in /testing. This kernel also spent a long time in development and in our own testing has proven to be fast, stable, and reliable.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

To be more specific, during the install you will come to a screen that asks from where you want to install the kernel. Choose "Install from CD", insert the first install CD, and choose the test26 kernel. It's pretty far down the list toward the bottom.

As antidrugue said, you'll probably either love it or hate it, but it's certainly worth giving a try anyway.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    well,
    one more question and i'll shut up.
    do these first 2 cds include most necessary programs ?such as gcc,mp3 codecs etc

Quote Originally Posted by slhtn
    well,
    one more question and i'll shut up.
    do these first 2 cds include most necessary programs ?such as gcc,mp3 codecs etc
    The first 2 discs are enough for the full (3GB) install, yes. As for whether or not they include MP3 codecs, I can't say. They do include gcc however. That much I'm sure of.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by slhtn
    gcc is there but you have to install codecs for mp3.

casper

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    gcc is there but you have to install codecs for mp3.

casper
    Bzzzt. Slackware has always included the codecs for MP3 and Ogg decoding. That's one of the reasons I switched to Slack. I can play my MP3s right out of the box after a fresh install via Amarok or XMMS.

Quote Originally Posted by Slack3r
    Bzzzt. Slackware has always included the codecs for MP3 and Ogg decoding. That's one of the reasons I switched to Slack. I can play my MP3s right out of the box after a fresh install via Amarok or XMMS.
    i didn't select FULL install and may be coz of this i missed mp3 codecs.
    thanx for correcting me....

casper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast