Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've managed to jury-rig a solution to my problem but I was hoping someone might be able to take a guess on the reason it is happining... thanks in advance... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slax - Kppp Strangeness

I've managed to jury-rig a solution to my problem but I was hoping someone might be able to take a guess on the reason it is happining... thanks in advance...

Problem:
    Kppp gets stuck when initializing my serial modem, and nothing prints out on the log. If I query the modem all the information comes out blank and the terminal doesn't register anything I type or display any text.

The quick fix:
    While Kppp is running, but not while editing the configuration (this is the most important part, found with lots of trial and error) I run wvdial on the default dialer, it fails because the modem needs pretty specific initialization but if I press connect on Kppp the initializations work perfectly and prints everything out. This also solves the above mentioned problems untill Kppp is shut down, then I need to do it again to fix things.

The real problem:
    This is going to be a rescue CD for customers that are not computer literate and I want a little more streamlined system then opening two programs at once in a particular order and doing some weird stuff that doesn't make any sense. I have yet to get Minicom or wvdial to connect on there own.

The setup:
    Modem: Motorola 9050 Iridium Sattalite Phone

Any ideas are welcome as this is my job and I get payed for trying them out!

Just Joined!
    Well I just succeeded with wvdial, so I'm going to call it quits on Kppp. Console programs seem easier to deal with anyway (from a tech-support point of view). Any ideas are still welcome as I'm not sure my boss will be happy with a non-GUI approch...