Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running KDE 3.5 on Slackware 11.0. I am on a mission and I need some help. I want to install and configure xgl with KDE on Slackware. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

xgl KDE 3.5 Slackware 11.0

I am running KDE 3.5 on Slackware 11.0. I am on a mission and I need some help. I want to install and configure xgl with KDE on Slackware. I have seen tons of sites that state that this can be done with compiz and Dropline-Gnome.

How can I get xgl to work with KDE? I have an ATI graphics card in my HP zd8000 laptop that is running Slackware. What I am looking for is a KDE desktop environment that looks and reacts like Kororaa. Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

ganooch

Just Joined!
    You need to install the X11R7.0 / 7.1 I think and then install the compiz / beryl or metacity 2.16 to get it to work.
    There's some instructions about this for Slack in linuxquestions.

I have my ATI drivers installed and DRI enabled. Is it worth it to upgrade xorg to 7.1? I can't find any instructions that I have faith in. Has anyone here upgrade to xorg 7.1 successfully?

--ganooch

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You can choose between running Xgl (old but works perfectly, you run two X server at the same time) or AIGLX (the new method but you need OSS drivers, a supported card and Xorg 7.1).
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Thanks for the reply. Have you tried either method? Does Xgl require an upgrade to Xorg 7.1?

I have ran Xgl with old versions of Xorg and it worked perfectly
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Pablo
    I have ran Xgl with old versions of Xorg and it worked perfectly
    If this is the case, did you do so with Slack and KDE? I have an ATI card. So I assume that with Beryl, I would not need to upgrade xorg based on what you are saying?

Thanks,

--ganooch

I have never used Xgl in on Slack, not even on Slackware. But I suppose the process should be the same, get directing rendering, install Xgl, install Beryl or Compiz, configure the display manager (KDM or GDM) to run Xgl, restart the X server, get dizzy rotating the cube.
    If I remember correctly www.freedesktop.org has a tutorial on building from source Xgl

Some webpages recommend Xorg 7 and you should follow this advice to avoid future problems
    Linux User #425940