Find the answer to your Linux question:
anyone ever install Slackware on VMWare server. i have a windows machine i am trying to install Slackware onto. but it doesn't recognize any of the virtual hard disks. i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installing Slackware on VMWare Server

anyone ever install Slackware on VMWare server. i have a windows machine i am trying to install Slackware onto. but it doesn't recognize any of the virtual hard disks. i guess vmware has you setup a virtual disk as a scsi drive however eve fdisk /dev/sda doesn't recognize the disk.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Linux Newbie
    Try with IDE disk.

vmware forums will also help.

i couldnt setup the initial drive as a IDE, VMWare by default was setting it up as scsi without giving me the option to change it. I found a way around it when i was prompted to select a kernel image for the installation program i used the huge26.i kernel which got me to where i could partition the drive finally. im installing 11 on my virtual machine finally.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Just Joined!

Slack on VMware

I too struggled a bit to install Slack 11.0 on VMware 1.0.1 (running on openSuSE 10.1)

I used VMware's scsi default (which has failed me on a few other occasions, other distros) and it works fine (and fast!). Where I had trouble was the sysV/BSD /etc details, so the post here was a big help. I am using the scsi.i kernel choice

Thanks!

Just Joined!
    Hi,

I know this post is kind of old, but here goes:

Slackware (and most other Linux distributions) have a problem detecting disks on VMware, because it emulates an "LSI Logic" SCSI adapter per default. If you instead were to choose "BusLogic" as your SCSI adapter, there will be no problems accessing your SCSI drives in Linux. I don't know if you skipped this step when creating a new virtual machine or you have to choose to create a custom machine.

Anyway, you are able the change the SCSI adapter on your virtual machine by right clicking on the virtual machine and choose Edit Settings.

Kind regards
    <--

PS: When installing Slackware, choose either the scsi.s or one of the 2.6.x kernels..