Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
just a question. .. i think i have accidentally rm a directory in my slackware's / directory.. that was the reason of (i think) not booting in GUI mode.. BUT ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

accidental RM of a dir in ROOT directory

just a question. .. i think i have accidentally rm a directory in my slackware's / directory.. that was the reason of (i think) not booting in GUI mode.. BUT i can still login to init 1 / level 1 and login as ROOT and MY user

BUT the problem is.. it can' READ bash anymore so when im in the prompt may be it root or user.. i cant anymore see what shell im using.. I THINK the usr/ has been rm.

but still i can browse all of my configs.. etc/

the question is . .can i just perhaps COPY the removed directory FROM the CD of slack in order to gain the original settings. . .?
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

ok
    ls -Ahl /
    this will show you all directoryes and we will see which has been removed

you can copy the dir but i dont know if that would work..heh

Linux Enthusiast
    copying the dir from an identical install might indeed work

or you could reinstall some packages maybe

Linux Newbie
    ok in the above mentioned set up, also i forgot to tell that also i CAN'T login OR go to any /home dir whether by / or by user

BTW i have seperate partitions for / , /home, /usr, /tmp, /var , IM JUST WONDERING because whenever I mount my slackware / dir IN my other box (zenwalk 3.0) i can still SEE all my files
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

Linux Enthusiast
    can you SSH in ?

Linux Newbie
    ok i haved just checked at my box, i have seperate partitions for :

/boot
    /tmp
    /var
    /usr
    /home
    /swap
    /

NOW when i logged in using user root, when i typed the command mount, i did not see the /usr , /home, and /var directories

BUT i tried mounting the /home using Zenwalk, luckily i have still seen my files in /home.. . its just that, its not mounted on my slack..

is it possible to RE - MOUNT those 3 directories (/usr, /home. /var) again? in order for my directories to be mounted again?

try 'mount -a' to remount all partitions. it will remount partitions listed in fstab except partitions set as 'noauto'.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    ok originally, when im logged in as root, when i type mount,

these are the only ones who are mounted

/
    /boot
    /tmp
    /swap
    /mnt/windows
    /mnt/windowsbackup

so, IF i will do mount -a, will it RE MOUNT those who are mounted already?

yes ! actually 'mount -a' command checks /etc/fstab file. it will mount all the partitions listed in it.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    meaning, the existing mounted partitions will not be doubled? it will just be RE MOUNTED? am i right?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast