Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm pretty new to linux and I just installed slackware 11.0 to my HP nx9600 laptop. I've used ndiswrapper to use the windows driver. Here's the output of iwconfig: Code: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HP nx9600 wireless trouble

I'm pretty new to linux and I just installed slackware 11.0 to my HP nx9600 laptop.

I've used ndiswrapper to use the windows driver. Here's the output of iwconfig:
    Code:
    wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:off/any  Nickname:"Home"
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated   
              Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:25 dBm   
              RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr=2346 B   
              Encryption key:***   Security mode:restricted
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
    I'm unable to set the essid with iwconfig; and iwlist wlan0 scan returns no results. I know there are several wireless networks around here that it should be seeing. The only thing I can think of is that my laptop has a wireless button to turn on/off the wireless but it's not usable in slackware, I don't see a light from it. Not sure if this has anything to do with it but I can't find any other help on the issue.

Just Joined!
    Hmm, not really sure why but after a restart (which hadn't worked before) the wireless card is working and the blue light on the on/off button is on.

Linux Enthusiast
    have you installed the free intel firmware ? I use an nc6000 and had to do this, its an intel based minipci card so I didnt have to use ndiswrapper thankfully.