Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Okay, I see what you mean. I just want to be able to play this game on other computers. If you have any suggestions that would be nice. By the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Wine?

Okay, I see what you mean. I just want to be able to play this game on other computers. If you have any suggestions that would be nice. By the way I tried downloading Wine but it didn't work. I couldn't find an install icon or anything. I extracted the Zip file using Winzip then I looked for an install icon but didn't find anything. How did you get it to work???

Linux Newbie
    If you're using slax then you downloaded the Slackware version right?

Instead of extracting it, don't. Just use installpkg command works like this-- to install foo you go

Code:
    installpkg foo.tgz
    as root.

It doesn't check for dependencies though, so you might find that when you try to run it, it'll say can't find blah, then you will have to download and install blah as well.

If you use a Debian based distro instead installing wine is a bit easier-- you just go apt-get install wine and it will find it and it's dependencies and install them for you.

Either way it's not that bad, you just have to get used to it.

So that's the binary method of installing if you downloaded the source you install it by doing the following in the source directory--

Code:
    ./configure
    make
    make install
    where the last command must be done as root.

Just Joined!

Question

Oh okay, so I finnaly get the Graphic SLAX desktop on i click terminal at the bottom an typed the command you said above. Right?(By the way I have Linux SLAX Standard edition 5.1.8 and SLAX Server edition 5.1.8. also.)

Just Joined!

Question Problem

I tried to run installpkg foo.tgz and it said it cant install because the file is not a .tgz file type. What do I do???

Linux Newbie
    I looked it up-- wine is not a slackbuild so you have to extract it--

go tar xzvf wine-<version here>.tgz to extract it (say it makes directory foo) and then go

cd wine (or possibly cd wine-<version>)

usually you then just go ./configure followed by make followed by make install (which you do as root).

But what you should do is read the documentation in the directory. That's usually in the form of readme and INSTALL. They will tell you how to install it and how to use it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2