Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
How do you play games in Linux SLAX? (For example: Simutrans)...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Games in Linux

How do you play games in Linux SLAX? (For example: Simutrans)

if its a open GL based linux binary you can install it easy and play but if its windows directX or similar i am afraid you need Cadega installed to play it. its basically a wine implementation with directX calls embedded in it. if its a windows binary without directX most likely it will run under wine.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Just Joined!

Hmm....

Okay that makes sense but what is wine?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    here is the page for wine it should answer your questions but basically it allows you to use some windows programs on linux. For example i just got diablo II working with wine, I also use dvdshrink and dvddecrypter through wine.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!

Question Cadega

Where can I get Cadega? Is it free?

http://www.transgaming.com/index.php...ceid=2&meid=-1

and no its not free its a subscription service. 5 dollars a month but you have to pay three months up front.
    Blog

Just Joined!

Question Emulator

Is there any other free emulators that can play directx games. I am tring to get Civilization III to work on Linux SLAX.

Linux Enthusiast
    ... isn't there an open source civilisation engine available?

If you want to run windows games, use windows, I find its the best option

http://www.freeciv.org/index.php/Freeciv

and a warcraft like game
    http://www.wesnoth.org/

here is the bottom line game emulators never live up to their promises. I dual boot for my windows games even though i don't really play any windows games anymore. the only thing i save windows for is my RC Airplane simulator. but there are plenty of open source games to be played. this guy here reviews them http://freegamer.blogspot.com/ and does a good job at letting you know what Linux games are available. also there are games like quake 4, Doom 3, Unreal Tournament series that can be played as well. lets say you buy quake 4 you go download a Linux installer from IDs website and it needs the disk for you to copy over important game files but is a Linux native.
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by kern
    ... isn't there an open source civilisation engine available?

If you want to run windows games, use windows, I find its the best option
    I hate to say it but I completely agree. If you really like PC games and can't live without them then as of today you need to have windows. There just is no substituting windows when it comes to games because the game producers in general don't make them for linux. Now companies that make quake and neverwinternights etc... should be commended for making linux versions and the best way to let them know that is to buy their games and then tell them that you bought it because they work on linux and they should continue to support those of us who choose not to use windows, but alas, if you just can't live without oblivion or your game of choice then you need windows or a console. Just my 2 cents.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast