Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Greetings! I have just installed Slackware 11 with default kernel 2.4, and i have Logitec wireless mouse and KB... Let me start with the install first: After booting the slackware ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    @home...soon in your homes ;) /usr/src/bulgaria

Red face Slackware 11 no usb mouse and keyboard

Greetings!

I have just installed Slackware 11 with default kernel 2.4, and i have Logitec wireless mouse and KB...

Let me start with the install first: After booting the slackware DVD my KB works, but after hitting Enter when asking if i have other kekne; (sata.i root=/....)
    my keyboard stops responding... I have an old PS2 keyboard i continued the installation with it.

I selected USB mouse and rebooted.... a get an error message: !Made changes!->
    Starting gpm: /usr/sbin/gpm -m /dev/mouse -t imps2
    O0o.oops (): [server_tools.c (76)]: could not open /dev/mouse
    o also tried ps2 and i dont get that error but there is still no mouse or keyboard
    pluged the old keyboard and tryed to config the Xconfig, i selected Auto mouse (i know that it wont help for the booting process but... )
    Rebooted and still nothing
    My keyboard and mouse are recognized by linux but it doesnt work at all

Btw they work in Slackware 10.1
    Any suggestions?
    10x in advance

Linux Enthusiast
    upgrade to 2.6

another problem

i upgareded to 2.6 but i have a stranege problem... it with Reinsfs file system and in the middle of the booting after detecting some of my hardware it goes realy balck, bearly visible and it hags. I tried clen new install with ext2 file system and the 2.4 works perfectly whith logo and everything and i downloaded 2.6.18.2 /latest stable/ conifg and reboot... now it hanges after cheking BIOS.

I have Athlon64 X2 3800 BOX
    Nvidia GeForce MP 7300GT 256 ram /hdtv/dvi ...
    Nforce4 motheboard Asus

i enable everything that i think i need for my hardware and still the same black screen. I also tried with a default 2.6 kernel - the same. Also tried loading a few needed drivers and still blank screen....

What do i do wrong????

btw: if i move my mouse during loading 2.4 kernel it detects it... funny... but my keyboard is not...

Please help

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    why do you need to build your own 2.6 kernel..

just use the one off cd2

Red face ooops

i have the dvd, and i try to build it because i always build 2.6 kernel myself /i know - silly me / and it always worked and now its giving me a hard time i want to find out what's the problem but still no luck and i ran out of ideas...

the other thing is that i never tried the kernel from the cd, and i'm a little embarissed to say that i dont knwo how to install it now after i did compiled my own /not working /

I would be happy if u can tell me how to do it

Linux Enthusiast
    its quite easy to upgrade to kernel 2.6, you just install the packages, and re-run lilo.

Unhappy another problem

OK i installed kernel-generic-2.6.18 and the modules, changed lilo to boot from /boot/kernel-generic... i reboot and i login with 2.6 everything is allright.
    But when i tried to boot 2.4 kernel it boots the 2.6 kernel
    I changed my lilo to boot the 2.4 kernel from /arch/i386/boot/bzImage it was /boot/vmlinuz and still it loads 2.6 no mater which kernel i choose...

The other thing is when i try to install my nVidia 7300GT, i do:
    chmod 700 ~/NVIDIA-........run
    ./NVIDIA.........run
    and it gives me an error:
    ERROR: Unable to find kernel source tree for the currently running kernel. Please make sure that you have installed the source files for your kernel and that they are properly configured; On Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be shure to have "kernel-source" or "kernel-devel" RPM installed. If you know the current kernel source files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with "--kernel-source-path" command line option.

Before installing 2.6. i tried to install nVidia on 2.4 and it was ok... now it says
    Fatal server error:
    Cought signal 8. Server aborting

it's just not my lucky day....

Linux Enthusiast
    /usr/src/linux points to the 2.4 kernel source still ,which is the wrong one.

as far as i understand the install of the 2.6 kernel from the dvd rewrote my vmlinuz in my /boot dir, so now there is not an image to load for my 2.4 kernel.

I load the config file of the preconfig kernle and it had more options than the one i have unziped.
    I tried to use it and to build my one kernel with the kernel that i have unziped, and i still have a blank screen...

I still dont know why when i load the precompiled kernel and lunch the nVidia installer it says:
    ERROR: Unable to find kernel source tree for the currently running kernel. Please make sure that you have installed the source files for your kernel and that they are properly configured; On Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be shure to have "kernel-source" or "kernel-devel" RPM installed. If you know the current kernel source files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with "--kernel-source-path" command line option.

any suggestions?

Linux Enthusiast
    you've got the wrong kernel source installed for the binary kernel you are running

this is why the nvidia installer complains

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast