Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Slackers, I am new in this famous box, previously I used another boxes, like Debian and based... now, using slackware 11 cause I like the "KISS" concept, which I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red face My first experience with Slackware 11 - Automount devices

Hi Slackers, I am new in this famous box, previously I used another boxes, like Debian and based... now, using slackware 11 cause I like the "KISS" concept, which I think is great.
    I do not have nor one week using slack, in this process I've found some things I used to ignore, like this:
    How can I get my usb flash memmory work, in an automatic way?, I mean plug the usb device or cdrom, and then be able to umount it automatically way too... I can do it manually.....

I've read some guides and forums on the www but there is nothing specific for slack and nothing fresh for the 11 release....

Please help, I'd like keep working with this box. If somebody has done this with slackware, let me know..

I have many more questions, but this is enough for today... This migration process has been confusing to me..... But I like cause I'm learning too....

Thanks....

Linux Enthusiast
    There's always automount, a great article on how to configure it:
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Automount.html
    The article is not Slack specific, but that shouldn't matter. Slackware has automount (autofs package) and a how-to as well:
    http://packages.slackware.it/search....=2&q=automount
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

Just Joined!

Talking Reading....

Ok, now I'm reading the documentation again, I had already done.
    What about the hotplug, udev... also I've read about it...

With autofs, Will kde automatically open the window for browsing files? or is something else necessary?

Which mechanism use other boxes, to auto-detect,auto-mount devices and filesystems?. Just for curiosity....

I'll try with autofs, like you suggested, even though would be intersting to learn how to use other stuff... So if someone else can comment other methods, please do it...

Well, I got slack... nice box....

thanks...