Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Greetings, I am currently connected over a broadband connection. Please find my investigations yet .. 1. I tried dhcpcd eth0 and it says dhcpcd is running. So I guess I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cannot configure internet

Greetings,

I am currently connected over a broadband connection.
    Please find my investigations yet ..

1. I tried dhcpcd eth0 and it says dhcpcd is running. So I guess I don't need to use any static IPs.

2.Checked at /etc/resolve.conf and I am getting the appropriate nameserver IP.

3. Checked lsmod .. Doesn't fetch any useful info.

Is there anything additional on netconfig / ifconfig now that it has picked up the IP automatically?

Thanks
    MB

@home...soon in your homes ;) /usr/src/bulgaria
    Are you shure that u have to use DHCP insted of Static IP /for LAN networks/?

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Can you please tell me if I need to change the static IP settings. I am also able to ping to the nameserver.

Am I going wrong somewhere ??

Thanks
    MB

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TrashOverride
    Are you shure that u have to use DHCP insted of Static IP /for LAN networks/?

pardon?

I use DHCP on my home LAN, theres no stipulation you should have static IP's

what if the LAN network is 200 pc's, you gonna walk around setting each one static?

Linux Enthusiast
    Can we get you to run a few commands and paste the output here so we can see how far you have gotten.

Code:
    ping www.google.com
    ifconfig
    route
    You may have to kill the ping command with ctrl+C. This should give us more information about the problem and help us help you fix it.

Let us know how you get on,

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

Quote Originally Posted by kern
    pardon?

I use DHCP on my home LAN, theres no stipulation you should have static IP's

what if the LAN network is 200 pc's, you gonna walk around setting each one static?
    I am on LAN internet/more than 200 pc's / and i use Static IP, i dont use DHCP thats why i ask that...
    I have always used static IP whenever i have configured linux and never had problems

Linux Enthusiast
    Sure, you'll never have problems, but to suggest you can only use static IP allocation on a LAN is .... well its wrong.

what does 'I am on LAN internet' mean

Just Joined!
    www.google.com still remains an "Unknown Host" as I try to ping. Also I am not required to kill it too...

as I check on ifconfig it is automatically assigning IP to my laptop with the inet addr, Bcast and Mask. and the Local Loopback is set to 127.0.0.1.

I am also able to ping to the nameserver which I picked up from the /etc/resolve.conf

I checked through route and it fetches me with Gateway address for the default destination ..

Thanks
    MB

Quote Originally Posted by kern
    Sure, you'll never have problems, but to suggest you can only use static IP allocation on a LAN is .... well its wrong.

what does 'I am on LAN internet' mean
    I'm not suggesting that he should use static IP, i'm just asking, because i made mistake by using DHCP insted of static IP..

I mean that my internet comes from the LAN network, i dont dail server or something else. I cinfigure the static IP addres and I can start browsing in internet

Linux Enthusiast
    OK, it looks like a name resolution problem. First we need to know the dns server will give you good information.

Code:
    dig www.google.com @<ip of dns server>
    Changing the bit in <> to the right address.

Can I get you to copy the contents of /etc/nsswitch.conf and paste it into a message.

Between the two we ought to be able to work out what is going on.

Just a check: can you ping 64.233.183.103 (one of google.com's IPs)

Let us know how you get on,

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast