Find the answer to your Linux question:
My slackware install defaulted to runlevel 3, so i went into /etc/inittab and changed it to runlevel 4, now when i start it up it just displays a black screen, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Need help with Runlevel 4

My slackware install defaulted to runlevel 3, so i went into /etc/inittab and changed it to runlevel 4, now when i start it up it just displays a black screen, is there a way to change this? or a way to change it /etc/inittab back to runlevel 3? thanks your help is very much appreciated

fvs
    Linux Newbie
    Go to command line as root by alt control +f6 and open your file up and enter it.

Linux Enthusiast
    Chances are your X configuration wasn't done, did you go through "xorgconfig" before? If not, do that on a terminal (just go to a tty as described above) by running xorgconfig. Once you're done just restart X (ALT+CTRL+BACKSPACE).
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Smile Just....

Well it sounds like you can't get ANYTHING on your screen right??? SO my add vice is to eather... Install slackware again or download "Knoppix" at...
    http://www.knoppix.org
    and change your inittab back.

C@RL

I have the same thing on my comp (well that is it boots up into "init run level 3"), but I haven't tried to fix it yet.

Linux Enthusiast
    ignore the person aboves "add vice", just use xorgconfig to setup your Xorg properly

Sorry

I am very sorry that "Kern" said not to take my advice (yes he was right), altho I missunderstood you and gave you bad advice, and it looks like I acted like a "Know-It-All" (by the way I wrote the my last post) so VERY SORRY!!

C@RL