Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just don't understand why you should not log on as "root", if your computer is NOT online or on a network or hooked up to any other computer, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Why should you not log on as root?

I just don't understand why you should not log on as "root", if your computer is NOT online or on a network or hooked up to any other computer, and NO ONE else uses your computer. WHY SHOULD YOU NOT log on as "root"?????????

Please tell me.

It's a tradition.

Quite simply because as root you can 'do anything' including causing an unrecoverable system. Root is for System Admin which assumes a good working knowledge of the entire system. It is the appropreate way to use linux or any other OS for that matter.

ron
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

check this thread ! a discussion is on..

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Smile Thanks!

Thanks every one, but still If your trying to figure out every thing you can do with "Linux" (and your comps not conected to the internet) then messing around as "root" realy isn't that bad (if you don't mind if you mess things up).

C@RL

One reason is "the windows reason"

If you surf the net as root, then any nasty little program that wants to install will be installed with root priviledges, and have access to your entire system. If you are only logged in as a regular user, then the worst this program can do is mess up your home directory, which is no big deal if you're smart with backups!

If a critical mass of linux users are surfing the net, and downloading nasties, as root, then it makes writing viruses for linux more appealing. So it benefits all of us if people log in as normal users and only use "su" or "sudo" to perform admin tasks.

Of course -- your computer is your computer, and you have the right to use it any way you please. We give the advice not to log in as root out of a sincere belief that you will regret it!

Even Microsoft is smart enough to be moving away from the idea of everyone being logged in as an administrator -- compare XP to Vista.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Root is such a powerful account and any slight mistake can be costly regardless of whether you are logged into the net or other network. For example entering a wrong command or deleting wrong files can leave you with a borked system. A few years ago, I almost destroyed a desktop system because I entered

Code:
    #rm -rf / usr/local/somedir
    instead
    of
    Code:
    #rm -rf /usr/local/somedir
    So you see, you can do damage without even being connected to the net or a network. I was lucky I realised this error before much damage was done and I managed to rescue all my important files. The bad thing was that I had to spend a few hours reinstalling and configuring the system so that it matched the previous installation.

Talking Reminds me of a favorite shot glass

A great shot glass.

I have been wanting to pick one up for a while.

The posts earlier just reminded me of this glass.

Cheers!

That shot glass is extremely cool! As a hard core liquor drinker and Linux enthusiast, I judge it to be positively brilliant!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gusisfry
    A great shot glass.

I have been wanting to pick one up for a while.

The posts earlier just reminded me of this glass.

Cheers!
    The glass is quite good. I am thinking of getting it.