Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have tried running xorgconfig to config the X server so I can use KDE but it doesn't seem like my configuration is correct, when it runs kde only the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation help with xorgconfig

I have tried running xorgconfig to config the X server so I can use KDE but it doesn't seem like my configuration is correct, when it runs kde only the top half of my monitor is displaying the desktop, and then that is split into four of the same, so i have 4 mice that click the same thing on each one... could someone possibly help me with configuring X, my graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX440 AGP 8x with 64MB of memory, and my monitor is a HP Pavilion f1503, so if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

The stupid way of solving this is:
    - run a live cd like knoppix. See if it runs ok with better screen settings.
    - copy the xorg.conf (relevant bits) to your slackware /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Now what? You have Linux installed and running. The GUI is working fine, but you are getting tired of changing your desktop themes. You keep seeing this "terminal" thing. Don't worry, they'll show you what to do @
    <~ http://www.linuxcommand.org/ ~>

Just Joined!
    ok will try that, downloading Knoppix now. Until then I guess I will sit around and do nothing hopefully this works...

Just Joined!
    Hi guys god bless you!

I hope you all are doing good. I need your help as quickly as possible please. I currently use Redhat es 4. The major problem with these two distros on my computer is that none of them seem to provide resolution other than 640x480. I tried changing resolution to 800x600 and edit my /etc/X11org/xorg.conf file after restarting the computer and booting up linux , at the configuration panel it says the resolution is 800x600 but in reality it is no different than 640x480. If I try using 1024x768. my screen is more wide. If I select millenium color and restart again it shows in configurator that resolution is 1024x768 in millenium color but actually its 640x480. I have tried but I dont want to give up on Linux. The following are my computer's configuration.

Intel pentium III 500 mhz
    256 MB RAM
    my mother board display driver is cirrus Logic GD 543X
    and I have a 15-inch Samsung SyncMaster 591s monitor.
    Please help.
    P.S.: In windows I am able to run desktop at 1024x768 32-bit resolution at the max.

Knoppix is always a usefull tool to have lying around if a system chrashes.
    I'm sure experienced xorg users would find my solution stupid but hey! It works
    Now what? You have Linux installed and running. The GUI is working fine, but you are getting tired of changing your desktop themes. You keep seeing this "terminal" thing. Don't worry, they'll show you what to do @
    <~ http://www.linuxcommand.org/ ~>

Hey!

After you get that working you should downlaod a driver for your NVIDIA graphics card http://www.nvidia.com
    once you get it to your computer run it in the command prompt by typing (what ever directory it's in then...) "sh (what ever the name is)

It will make Slackware use your graphics card to it's full extent.

C@RL

Linux Enthusiast
    carl, that driver install wont support "ALL" nvidia cards at all, there is a seperate 'legacy' driver install for older 'legacy' cards.

Just Joined!
    Retrieving the monitors horizontal and vertical refresh rates from the boot messages of the knoppix disk is a great idea.
    The horizontal rate needs to be set correctly to avoid damage to the monitor.
    Colour depth will also affect the resolution that can be achieved. X starts working through the various resolutions specified in the xorgconfig file until it settles on a workable configuration. Although if colour depth is not set correctly either X will not start or the screen will be distorted.
    Playing with horizontal refresh rate and colour depth usually fixes these problems, providing the selected driver is compatible with your hardware. The generic drivers are always a good way to get things up and running.
    nVidia drivers etc can be installed later, once the xorgconfig file is set up and working.