Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have two OS (Slackware Linux and Windows XP) and use Lilo to choose which to load. Some days ago (in Windows) it showed continuosly a blue screen with written ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lilo problem

I have two OS (Slackware Linux and Windows XP) and use Lilo to choose which to load.
    Some days ago (in Windows) it showed continuosly a blue screen with written "there must be a problem with drives ..." and something like that. Any time I started Windows it appeared. So I restarted in Safe Mode and used Partition Magic to create a partition, but during this operation I changed the Linux partition to NTFS. The result was that after restarting it showed a sequence like:

L 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 ...

and it freezes!

The Linux Loader becomes mad because it doesn'0t find anymore the Linux partition. I have tried with the Slackware Linux CD but it doesn't solve the problem. Anyway I'm a beginner in Linux so I don't know how to fix the Linux Loader to work properly.

Remove Linux Boot loader coz there isn't any Linux OS in your Hard Disk.
    boot up from Windows Installation CD, select 'Repair'. this will drop you on command line prompt. type 'FIXMBR'.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I've installed again Linux from the CD. It seems to be a Lilo problem. Is there any possibility to fix Lilo to recognize the 2 OS. If not, how can I remove Lilo?

post the output of fdisk -l command and contents of lilo.conf file.

casper

Just Joined!
    as my understood you have just windows xp installed, no linux os installed. if you want to install linux then it will reinstall lilo and everything will be ok. if you don't want to install linux just boot from windows xp cd and press F2 to go into recovery mode and type FIXMBR. it will reinstall windows xp loader.

Smile Hey

Hey I prefer the "GRUB" boot loader, it's alot less confusing and easy to modify. Linux CAN NOT be installed on a "NTFS" partition. If you just reinstall "Slackware Linux" then it should just install the "Lilo" boot loader again, and every thing should be sailing smooth! If you install Kubuntu or Ubuntu linux it comes with "GRUB".

C@RL

"Windows" the problems of the world, wrapped up into one BIG PROBLEM.

I do have winXP on my comp to, and "Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Slackware, win98"
    and out of all of those winXP causes the most problems.

Linux Enthusiast
    thanks, but your advice is completely useless, are you 16?

even i was going to post similar message.

casper

Very sorry

I am very sorry I should have gone over my post before sending it. Very sorry for the confusingness of my last post, and I am 15 (in answer to "Kern").

Sorry

C@RL