Find the answer to your Linux question:
I had problem with some modules on my Slackware 11 box. In boot time kernel could not find them. After the boot I looked in all message files in /var/log ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Boot messages?

I had problem with some modules on my Slackware 11 box. In boot time kernel could not find them. After the boot I looked in all message files in /var/log but found nothing about this messages. The drivers were gone indeed.

I know that boot messages are written in dmesg but not all of them.

My question is how to log ALL boot messages to one place?

Linux Enthusiast
    Well, as far as I understand it, logging doesn't occur until syslogd/klogd comes on, which is sometime after the kernel has been booted. It's usually one of the first things to come on though, so things like module loading should show up. The file that configures these things is "/etc/syslog.conf". You should add a line that says something like this:
    Code:
    *.*     /var/log/logall
    Like I said though, this type of logging only start after syslog has been started.
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

Just Joined!
    Thanks,
    but we see messages running on the screen before syslogd/klogd is started. What makes them appear in /dev/console sure can be told to copy them once in a log file.

I read somewhere about logging boot messages on RedHat box. Boot messages are said to be "local7.*" . I think in Slackware there is no such thing , otherwise your suggestion *.* will include these messages as well. I tried it and still could not find "module drm could not be found " anywhere.

Thanks for your time and help

Linux Enthusiast
    Well, boot messages are the kernel messages when it's started. One thing I do remember about it is the "bogomips", which just tries to set the clock up correctly. The dmesg command just shows kernel messages, which is probably why some things aren't shown.

I gotta tell you the truth, I have no idea how something like this could be set up, but under my Debian box (on it right now) there's a script on rcS.d which starts up a daemon called "bootlogd", try taking a look at that.
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

Just Joined!
    Thanks,
    I made boodlogd work on my Slack box . It was easy.
    Thanks again.