Find the answer to your Linux question:
If at second: The old saying, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again, has an amendment: If at second, ask someone for advice: I successfully booted Slackware 11.0 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

if at second...

If at second:
    The old saying, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again, has an amendment: If at second, ask someone for advice:
    I successfully booted Slackware 11.0 last night after three days of struggling. At the end of the installation procedure, I turned off the machine, rebooted, selected "SLACKWARE" from my main boot menu (XOSL--LILO is installed on hda9), and then entered my root password, typed "startx", and saw KDE on my desktop. Wow, I was delighted. Then, I received an interruption, had to leave, and so, I logged off from KDE, and turned off the machine. This morning, I again selected SLACKWARE, as I had yesterday, from my XOSL main menu, but this time, I could not boot, instead, receiving this error message:
    "suggest running e2fsck -v-y hda9" (my swap is hda-eight), but when I typed in that command, as root, I received a new error message,
    "e2fsck no such file while trying to open hda9"
    So, then I typed "startx" which had worked so well for me yesterday, and received this response:
    "Fatal server error. Could not create lock file in /tmp/.tX0-Lock"
    I have no idea what is wrong. I also have no idea why slackware works one way one day, and quite another way, the following day. Any ideas? Why does the error message mention "server"? Do I need to reinstall the operating system, and type some different command, rather than "startx", i.e. Was it my typing "startx", yesterday, upon successfully booting the first time, that resulted in this problem? Thanks again for your suggestions.

Just Joined!

Smile

simple
    after entering ur root password use command "fsck -y"
    ur problem will be fixed
    usually the partionions are not unmounted properly so a file system error occurs try it this might work..

Just Joined!

Thanks, GREAT help!!!

Thank you Ratnakar Kulkarni
    I appreciate your input.
    Excellent suggestion. You are obviously very knowledgeable, and as I am NOT, then I am very grateful to you for your help in this matter.
    Umm, for your own benefit, as feedback to you, on your VERY helpful suggestion:
    I followed your advice, and the result was (AT FIRST) very unsatisfactory, because, after typing in the command, (itself, completely non-intuitive), NOTHING happened. I proceeded to type in "startx" and again ZERO. so, I thought, wow, this chap or gal RATNAKAR is full of beans.
    BUT, I WAS WRONG. RATNAKAR is ABSOLUTELY correct. What I needed to do then, which fortuitously, i.e. accidentally, I did, was to type in the command, REBOOT. I have no idea how anyone as ignorant as I am, would know to do this, instead of simply pushing the reset button on the computer, but, anyway, by pure luck, I did just that, and WATCH OUT!! Upon rebooting, voila, hurrah. There it was, my prompt, so I could log in as root, and type in the infamous "startx", and hurrah: KDE again appears, in all its glory.
    THANK YOU RATNAKAR. Your help was EXCELLENT.
    Please continue to offer help to other ignorants, as you helped me. That was great, because, me, I was prepared to reinstall the whole OS, again, having no idea what was wrong....
    Terrific advice. May I impose upon you to answer some other questions about this installation procedure????
    You are obviously VERY knowledgeable.
    (and I am equally obviously, very ignorant!!!) If it would not be too much of an imposition upon you, I have a dozen odd additional questions to ask, if you have the patience to deal with a complete dunderhead, like me!
    regards, CAI ENG

Just Joined!
    u have praised me a lot thank u for that but i am not that expert, it was just a simple error and i am thinking why u did not use "init 6" to restart the system..

Just Joined!

modems....

Thanks Ratnakar, for your modesty. We read a great deal these days about the technology boom in India, so perhaps you are no longer using obsolete gear, like dialup modems. Here in USA, it is considerably less expensive to use modems, rather than high speed, DSL or cable, therefore, I use modems, but until now, only with XP, I have no success configuring them in Linux with KPPP.
    One of these modems is a host system processing modem, or HSP for short. The name is PCtelHSP56MR 2.30-9k. I went to several locations on the internet looking for assistance to configure this modem with Slackware:
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO-2.html
    and I went to the sourceforge.net web site to look up the modem by pci identification number:
    PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3068&SUBSYS_4C211543&REV_30
    but, received error message: "Could not connect to database server"
    http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Linmodem-HOWTO-5.html
    page unavailable...
    so, alas, not too simple.... It is a PCI modem, which in XP appears as COM3. I guess that in Linux terminology, this should be /dev/ttys2, correct? When I go to KPPP, I find, discouragingly, that querying the modem at /dev/ttys2 gives an error message, essentially confirming that the modem is unavailable....
    Any ideas?
    Thanks for your previous assistance, much appreciated.

Just Joined!
    sorry dude i dont use dial-up connection i use cabel internet better u start a new thread some genius might help you and even i can learn from their inputs