Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running Slack 11 with the 2.6.17 kernel. As you may know Slackware for some reason does not include Brother print drivers. I have a HL2070n and I'd like to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Brother printer PPD and CUPS issue

I'm running Slack 11 with the 2.6.17 kernel.

As you may know Slackware for some reason does not include Brother print drivers. I have a HL2070n and I'd like to set it up using the PPD file approach as opposed to installing the rpm driver that Brother also provides (which I expect does work since I've done that with Suse). According to what I've read at linuxprintingdotorg this seems to be a standard approach to providing drivers via CUPS.

Per linuxprintingdotorg I did the following:

I found the HL2070n driver on the Brother Cd (which by the way is a hidden file buried down several levels in a winnt directory - like a needle in a hay stack!).

I copied to /usr/share/cups/model.
    I had to chmod to get it readable and unhidden.
    I ran killall -HUP cupsd

There were no errors reported.

From what I read that should be all that's needed to register it in CUPS, but it does not show up in CUPS. I have other printers running via CUPS and like I already mentioned I've run this printer via CUPS on Suse (but not using a PPD file) so I wonder if this is a Slackware issue or perhaps I don't understand PPD usage.

Any thoughts on this?

ron
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Resolved

Issue resolved.

Turns out that the VENDOR supplied PPD does not work. Linuxprinting.org had a link to modified PPD's and though no specfic PPD for the HL2070N, the 2060 PPD did register and is working fine (on a lan by the way). From what I saw at their link it appears that quite a number of printer PPD's supplied by the vendors have to be modified before they'll work.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?