Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, What can be messed up in network configuration after recompiling slackware kernel? Network was running fine with two NICs before. Drivers, and needed functions are enabled in kernel (even ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Network problems after kernel recompilation

Hello,

What can be messed up in network configuration after recompiling slackware kernel? Network was running fine with two NICs before. Drivers, and needed functions are enabled in kernel (even tried once to enable everything what concerns networking).

Now one NIC does not light LED when connected to LAN at all, other cannot communicate as an DHCP client(when starting i see message "DHCPD: MAC address = XXXXX" for around a minute, but it fails to get IP and other data). Both of them are recognized as eth0 and eth1 and can be brought up.

---
    At all.. I start to think that linux/unix is not such a nice thing.... in the FreeBSD stable: fatal errors whithout reason (changed to earlier stable version - no problems), then squid which transparently works till gets more traffic at a time, then problems recompiling kernel on AMD-K6 .... You can add even all drivers, but it still fails to start.... Now this....Eh....
    ----

Thanks if You can help by anything....

@home...soon in your homes ;) /usr/src/bulgaria
    What is ur current kernel version? wich slackware distro r u using? are u changing from 2.4.x to 2.6.x?

Just Joined!
    i am compiling 2.4 kernel. Working kernel is default instalation 2.4 kernel. slackware v10. All this compilation is being done to add support for transparent proxying with squid.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close