Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have been unable to use Windows XP after installing GAG. This all started when I got GAG so I could choose to boot Windows XP or FreeDOS. At ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Windows XP won't boot after using GAG, recommended to use Linux to solve problem

Hello, I have been unable to use Windows XP after installing GAG. This all started when I got GAG so I could choose to boot Windows XP or FreeDOS. At first GAG worked fine running off of a floppy disk, and I could boot Windows XP, but after I installed it on my hard drive, I have gotten an error message. Thinking that GAG could be the problem, I uninstalled it, but I still had the same problem. I tried using Dell Hardware Utilities (or something, I forget what it is called. I have never heard of it previous to using GAG, where it appeared as a second OS), I went through many tests (they took all night to complete), but no errors appeared. Using my other computer, I contacted raster (the creator of GAG) and sent him this email:
    "I installed GAG to my boot drive on my PC. It has one partition. GAG worked fine at first when I was running it from the floppy disk, but when I installed GAG on the hard drive Windows screwed up. It started loading, but after it was finished it was saying that something was missing (or something like that, I can't check at the moment but I will give you the specifics when I am able to) and then it tried to start without it and said it had a fatal error. I uninstalled GAG and the same thing happened. I tried running Windows normally and through GAG after that but I had no luck. Do you think you know what my problem is? I am running Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz and Windows XP Home Edition SP2."
    He replied with:
    "The hard disk with Windows is the first or the second hard disk?

Try to boot with a Linux LiveCD and, using FDISK, QTParted or GParted,
    ensure that the Windows'partition is visible, and not hidden."
    I replied:
    "Windows is installed on the first hard disk. I have never used Linux (I was planning on trying it out soon), but will I need to download it to fix the system? Could you please tell me exactly what I need to do to get a Linux LiveCD?"
    I later sent him this email:
    "Ok, I finally checked it again and this is what the blue screen said:
    "AUTOCHK not found
    Skipping Autocheck" (may not be perfectly accurate)
    Within a few seconds another blue screen appeared that said:
    "Stop: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
    The Session Manager Initialization System process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000).
    The system has been shut down."

I hope this can help. "
    I also sent him this email:
    "I got Linux running (Slax Killbill distro), but I have no idea how to
    use Fdisk, could you give me some help with that?"

This has been a huge problem and I would appreciate any help with this. Thanks.

Just Joined!
    I had a similar problem with GAG and couldn't boot linux or windows.

If you intend installing Linux and dual booting with Windows, it would be safer to download the GParted live CD (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php) and use it to partition your hard drive.
    This will allow you to shrink your Windows partition without damage, or remove it completely and partition for a Linux install (although many distros will provide you with these options during the install). gparted is fairly intuitive with some experience.
    When you get linux installed the lilo or grub boot loader will detect Windows and provide boot options for you. Windows always wants the front of the hard drive, but Linux is fine occupying the rest.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by The_Outlander; 12-14-2006 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Removed lines - Restoring Windows MBR.

You need to boot from the XP install disk, get a recovery console
    and issue the fixmbr command. This will restore the windows
    bootloader.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true