Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey Im trying to install several things, each time it cant find loads of different librarys. I have them all in /usr/lib. how do I fix this. If I export ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ld_library_path?????

Hey

Im trying to install several things, each time it cant find loads of different librarys. I have them all in /usr/lib. how do I fix this. If I export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib it does nothing, Its setting it, I can echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

whats going on?

thanks

Joe

Linux Enthusiast
    better to put them in /usr/local/lib or /opt/lib then add that path to /etc/ld.so.conf and run 'ldconfig' as root to update your dynamic shared library cache..

Just Joined!
    yeah, I tried that and it still cant find the librays

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I have tried all the obvious things, exporting new paths, adding to /etc/ld.so.conf, ldconfig, rebooting, all of the above as root. Just dont understand what is left to try?

Linux Enthusiast
    Why are you manually inserting libraries anyway? you should never need to do that

thats probably why nothing is working for you

what software are you attempting to install?

Just Joined!
    Im not trying to manual insert librarys, this is a clean, fresh install of slackware 11, Im trying to install the java compiller and the win32 codecs. I have not tryied to install any other software since installing slackware. If I try to install anything, it says that I am missing a load of librarys, these are all present in /usr/lib so im just trying to point to them using enviroment variables.

Linux Enthusiast
    Well,

you don't need to touch $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or ldconfig, or anything like that for what you're trying to do.

Just place your codecs in /usr/lib/win32, and install the JRE or J2SDK package from the slackware CD, which will install to /usr/lib/java