Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey I'm trying to switch to linux. The reason for my swith is that I recently upgraded my system, and Windows refuses to let me use my ethernet card. And ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to download Slackware?

Hey I'm trying to switch to linux. The reason for my swith is that I recently upgraded my system, and Windows refuses to let me use my ethernet card. And the reason for the upgrade is so that I can play Guild Wars...Sooo I need to be able to play games with 3D graphics, and get on teh internet too...sooo I tried to get linux...(I chose the slackware version, but I really have no idea what I'm doing so any suggestions would help!) But I'm confused as hell as to what to download to get the ISO on a disc, so can someone help me with a link or something?

oz
    forum.guy
    I think Slackware 11.0 comes on 6 CDs total and you'll only need the first three ISOs to simply install Slack, but you'll need the other three ISOs if you want the source, too.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    You can look here for a mirror that's near you to download from:

http://www.slackware.com/getslack/
    oz

Just Joined!
    Alright Thanks a lot!

oz
    forum.guy
    The files you'll want look like this:

slackware-11.0-install-d1.iso
    slackware-11.0-install-d2.iso
    slackware-11.0-install-d3.iso
    ...and so on.

Burn them to CDs, set your BIOS to boot from the CD-drive, then boot your machine with the first CD in the drive.
    oz

Just Joined!

I too have done this

One distro you might want to check out is Ubuntu. The cd is a live cd meaning you can boot up into ubuntu and see if your hardware works ok. It will run SLOW from the cd but you can get an idea. Are you sure its not your network card? I have never seen a NIC that was not compatible with windows? Any I am not a big slackware person so I cannot tell you all the details about slack but I have been using ubuntu for a while and I was able to set it up and start playing World of Warcraft very easily.

Just Joined!
    If you are totally new to Linux I would also recommend Ubuntu. Slackware can be sometimes a bit overbearing for a newcomer. But if you do want to move forward with Slack, by all means do. Just post any problems you are having and I'm sure we can help.

Best of luck and Welcome,
    C-rin