Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to install slackware 11 on a new Dell Dimension E521. I chose sata.i option and the installer starts and lets me partition my drive. The problem I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SATA dvd drive install problems

I am trying to install slackware 11 on a new Dell Dimension E521. I chose sata.i option and the installer starts and lets me partition my drive. The problem I am having is when it tries to find the source disk. No cd drive detected. This computer has an SATA dvd drive. Is there a way around this?

Bill

Are you using the same drive that the installation is running from or trying to use a second drive? I'm assuming you are installing from a cd/dvd drive in which case it clearly is detecting that drive. Slackware by default only configures one cd/dvd drive. Additional drives have to be manually configured after the installation.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Just Joined!

Sort of

Ok here is the deal. I only have 1 cd/dvd drive. It is SATA. I put slack into the drive and boot up. I am booting sata.i since I have an SATA harddrive also. I run fdisk and partition my drive. When I run setup I am asked to provide the source location. IE cd drive / mounted partition / network share.... At THIS point the installer does not detect the dvd drive.

Bill

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    This might be the not unusual case of linux not having caught up to new hardware. Only suggestion I have is one) connect to a different sata port (I believe you have 4 sata ports on that MB?), and two) try another linux distro to narrow down whether its hardware or software related.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Just Joined!

will try

I will try moving it to a different sata connector. I have already tried ubuntu and was able to get it installed but never got it to boot.

Just Joined!

nope

I tried moving it from sata1 to sata2 and get the same results.

Just Joined!

Sata Dvd

I am running PCLinuxOS 2007 Final and it finds the drives just fine.
    You may want to give it a try.
    terrygv

Just Joined!
    I'm having the same problem. I've tried Ubuntu and the new Fedora 8 and Suse 10.3. Guess I'm gonna try PcLinuxOS. But if that doesnt work I'll be putting in a IDE Dvd drive. I've read that as a solution in another forum