Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have read the how-to's relating to LVM installation on Slackware 11, but only want to extend the home directory for storage. I have 3 sata harddrives; 1. 40GB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Extending home partition with LVM

Hi, I have read the how-to's relating to LVM installation on Slackware 11, but only want to extend the home directory for storage.

I have 3 sata harddrives;
    1. 40GB Slackware installation plus home directory.
    2. 160GB spare.
    3. 80GB Apache and Samba repository for a home intranet.

I don't want to install from scratch. I don't have the time.

From what I can see, basically, I need to create a ram disk and copy the home directory to it, then create a partition /vg in the second drive and mount it.

Completely new to LVM, and a little hesitant to try it, as it has the potential to screw up your system if not done correctly.
    Do I need to use LVM - is there another way to achieve the same result.

Thanks again.

Linux Newbie
    If you have space on the same drive that holds /home, you can use a program called "gparted" that allows you to change the size of partitions without LVM. Both times I've used it, it worked just fine. There is a 'live' CD you can use. Boot your computer off of the CD and then you can resize your partitions in a user-friendly GUI. Just make sure to not leave spaces between the partitions.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply kahoona.

The situation is, that I need to extend my home partition on sda1 to another disk sdb2 as a logical volume, that is the two drives appear as one. I have not had time to follow it through, but gparted may be a way to create a logical extension. I will have a look at that and see what gives.

Cheers.

Linux Newbie
    I'm running LVM on my desktop here. You have to update one of your LVM filesets if you are running 10.2. The LVM package that comes with 10.2 is broken. I upgraded the package on my machine to the 10.2 version. I can't remember off hand what the name of the package is. I'll look and see if I can find it. Anyway, here is a good site that I used to figure some stuff out about LVM on Linux:

http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_lvm