Find the answer to your Linux question:
What happened is that after a slue of new apps being installed is that I recieved the xauth: timeout in locking authority file...usr/X11 R6/ Xauth or something very close to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

normal user can't startx

What happened is that after a slue of new apps being installed is that I recieved the xauth: timeout in locking authority file...usr/X11 R6/ Xauth or something very close to that. I'm thinking some one can figure this one out quick, but it's too late at night for me. I know there are posts all over the net covering this issue but I just can't figure it out. In the process of trying to fix this I may have messed some thing trying to fix this by coding chown -R "the users name" /home. I'm going to try asking for help before I really mess this up. Thanks for your help.

Just Joined!
    I have seen this post but does it apply to my situation as well... and forgive me for saying so but do I type it just like that. When I did it said alan.users not valid. If not alan...what then I'm sorry to be an annoying newby, just think of me as a budding convert to the Linux society.

su -
    enter root password
    chown -R alan.users /home/alan

Just Joined!
    okay, I fixed it. Sorry to bother you all. I guess I posted this all wrong. I'll not post again until I get it right. I can't imagine how annoying it must be deal with people begging for help, but not effecitvely communicating the problem.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close