Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok I looked through most of the questions and I didn't think any of them answerd my question. I can't get my internet to work, I don't even know if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Internet/network problem

Ok I looked through most of the questions and I didn't think any of them answerd my question. I can't get my internet to work, I don't even know if Slackware is seeing the network card, because I have no idea what I'm doing, it's at a colleage and you have to login to use the Internet, I know the IP address of site to login but it isn't seeing a connection of any kind so it won't go there. So just tell me how find out if it's seeing the network card, if it's setup right and how to fix it if it's not. I understand that you will probable need more info but I need to know how to get it first (the info that is). Thanks in advance

C@RL

Hi Carlwatkins and welcome to the forums.

Yes, several questions need to be answered or confirmed to get started on how to resolve your problem. What type of device are you using to try and connect? I am presuming wireless? Is this a laptop? Is it an internal pci wireless device? A pcmcia card? What is the make and model of the device?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Ok it's a ethernet card that's integrated into the mother board, and it's wired, it's a got a speed of 10/100 mbps, but I'm not sure what manufacturer it was made by. The computer is a desktop.

C@RL

Most wired ethernet cards will work with Linux and it is likely already configured. Let's see if it is. Open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    su
    and press enter. It will ask for root's password. Type it in and press enter. Now type:
    Code:
    netconfig
    You can then configure your card from there. Just answer the questions and input the info you say you have. Afterwards type:
    Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig
    The output should look similar to this...
    Code:
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:06:E9:B7:44:98
              inet addr:192.168.0.108  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:881728 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:803172 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:825311352 (787.0 Mb)  TX bytes:104332244 (99.4 Mb)
              Interrupt:11

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:37000 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:37000 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
              RX bytes:178822442 (170.5 Mb)  TX bytes:178822442 (170.5 Mb)
    If you get nothing then we need to look further into what your card is. To do this, again open a terminal and go:
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci
    Find the part about your ethernet card. write it down and post it exactly as it is here. We can then set out to find what driver needs to be loaded and see if it is...

A few more questions. Are you directly linked to a modem or is there a router involved? If no router, is the connection DSL? Cable?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Thanks

Hey thanks for all your help. I would do all that, but it's not my computer and I have to tell the people what to do over the phone, they don't realy know how to find stuff about the Network card, and their just getting started with Linux, so I'm just going to have them install "Kubuntu" because their beginers, and don't know what their doing.

Thanks
    C@RL